Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

Lorenz Are you around now? Paul

Customer Question

Lorenz
Are you around now?
Paul
Category: Email
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 7 months ago.

Dear *****,

I just checked my questions as I am on the road at the moment. Luckily I saw your request now, because otherwise another expert would have taken it again in 3 minutes from now (when the lock on the question expires for me after 60 minutes after your request) - that´s why I´ve asked that you inform me before you open the new question:) Anyhow, it all went OK now and the question is locked to me. I am here today from in about 2 hours from now and will send you the remote-assistance offer now from my side, for the same price as yesterday (which you´ve got refunded yesterday) minus the value of this new question here, so that you won´t pay anything more. All you have to do, is to accept it and we get started this evening (if you have time).

Thank you very much,

Lorenz

Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience: 17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)

Dear *****,

are you around at the moment? If you want, we can get started with the assistance:) Just to make sure: is there any software like Teamviewer or AnyDesk (or anything else in that matter) already installed on your Ubuntu?

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am here and welcome your expertise.
If there is software its not immediately to hand.
Paul

Ok, then we should install one... are you using Ubuntu 32 bit or 64 bit?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I may have stuff from synaptic Package Manager and I use rockbox and asunder for music.I do not know if its 32 or 64.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know I am ignorant but is this working ok for you?
Paul
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz, I am going to a different room now but I will have my mobile phone.
Paul

Test

FINALLY! I was unable to answer you for the last hour, JustAnswer always gave me an error. We seem to be under a "bad star" as we say in Germany.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I need to do anything with the computer or printer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Spater. Ich geht.
30 Jahre Lernung veileicht!
My french is ein bischen besser.

Test

I am so sorry Paul, it is not working to answer you most of the time. You need to open a Ubuntu terminal, can you do that?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can follow instructions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
tell me what to do and i will do it.

Open a Ubuntu shell and let me know when it´s opened up.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It will help me greatly if you tell me how to open an ubuntu shell!

Oh OK, sorry, I thought you are somewhat familiar with the OS. Please have a look here, as I can´t seem to post the command you need to execute (maybe some kind of protection by JustAnswer):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/41332/how-do-i-check-if-i-have-a-32-bit-or-a-64-bit-os

Then post the output of the command, so that I can see if it is a 32 or 64 bit version.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am looking through recently asked questions because the stuff I typed did not work. I am not sure how I get information to you.

Yes, JustAnswer seems to have a problem. Use http://privnote.com and send me the privnote.com link here. I am sorry for this mess!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz I am signing up to become a user / developer of ubuntu. So it may be a few minutes for me to get information to you.
Paul

All good, take your time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz,
I am sorry but I need to sleep now. If it is helpful I can do things tomorrow if you tell me when.

Oh Ok, maybe we misunderstood, but I was waiting for you to execute that shell command, so that I know which version of Ubuntu you are using (32 or 64 bit) and so that we can continue. Or did I miss something?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
I only have experience of my wee brother doing things. He took control of the computer from miles distant which aĺlowed him to see and do stuff from a distance.
I am slow and my eyesight poor at times.
Tomorrow would be better for me.

Yes, sure thing! If he took control from distance, there must be remote-software installed within Ubuntu already. We need to find out which it was. Well, let´s just talk tomorrow then. Have a great night and sleep well:)

Cheers,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you too:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz,
do you happen to be around now?
Paul

Hi Paul! :)

Yes, I am here! Any news? Did you find out which remote-software your brother used?

Cheers,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I will look on the ubuntu files and give any information I find.
Paul

Great Paul, looking forward to it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Remote Dektop Viewer - Vinagre
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
should be Remote Desktop Viewer

Yes, but that one is only to connect TO other clients, not into it (so from me to you). What I´d recommend to install is:

http://anydesk.com/platforms

You´ll see that there are 2 Debian / Ubuntu versions on that site, please chose the one according to your system (32 bit or 64 bit), install it and start it. Then let me know the 9 digits number it displays to you and I will be able to connect to your system.

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz,
sorry for my ignorance but I dont know how many bits this system is. What do you suggest?
Michael used to visit and do stuff so I would happily remain in the dark!

Paul,

I´ve posted this yesterday to you, but I think you did not do it yet. Please view this site http://askubuntu.com/questions/41332/how-do-i-check-if-i-have-a-32-bit-or-a-64-bit-os as I can´t post the Linux commands here it seems (some kind of protection by JustAnswer I guess).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
I have run checks mentioned though I did have to read and try a lot. It gives a response that indicates 32 bit. Older and a bit wiser! Will try to get remote access now.

Great stuff Paul, let´s see if we get AnyDesk installed now (32 bit version then). If it doesn´t work, try the 64 bit version instead. One must work....

At the rate you learn stuff right now though, you might as well have solved your problems before I can even get to your Ubuntu:) Well done!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz,
I have tried to download anydesk but it wont let me open the icon. I will keep trying but I guess I should get the access for you and then take your time.
Paul

Paul,

here is a nice tutorial how to install AnyDesk in Ubuntu: http://www.linuxlinx.com/2016/08/anydesk-231-remote-desktop-client-linux-ubuntu.html if the installation won´t start, just try the 64 bit version instead.

Cheers,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
I will be intouch when I have downloaded helpful information.
Paul

Paul,

OK, great, just let me know:)

Cheers,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz,
I have anydesk on my computer. It asks for the anydesk ID or if anydesk is installed on both computers.... by host name or IP address...
If you let me know we can make the connection when it is good for you.
Paul
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
I'm going to watch the telly now so let me know when it is convenient for you. Paul

Hi Paul,

sorry for the late reply, I am still on the road right now (working only in the night today, from in about 2 hours). Can you already let me know the AnyDesk-ID which it shows you when you start AnyDesk (your own one)?

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This desk
AnyDesk-Address
*********

Thats perfect Paul! How long are you available this evening / night?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not able to be around for long this evening. When is good for you?

I am still not back in right now, maybe in 1 hour?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
O.k. I will be around then. Just let me know when you are around.
Paul

I am already trying to connect to you, you just must accept the connection now please:)

The connection seems to be extremely slow, can you please open your mail program that you are having problems with for me?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Done. I hope it goes well. I see it is running very slowly. The internet connection is slow anyhow. We are used to it now.

Oh yes, I notice that, very hard to work this way.... can you please bring AnyDesk to the foreground again? Otherwise it won´t let me log in.

Can you enter your password ***** the prompt please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If possible it would be helpful to make the printer work too. Its a Canon MG5750. I think this needs to be done from a terminal.
Email is via evolution.
I do not know the password ***** wants here.

The email looks actually fine, if you´d enter your password ***** the SMTP too once it asks you for that (it should be the same as for incoming mail), then this would work fine. Please try and next we do the printer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. It does not save a record of sent mail as it did previously and some mail is deleted from the spam folder without being told to.

Hmm, the problem seems to be at first that you don´t seem to have the password ***** the SMTP (outgoing mail). Is it sending any mail at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
but not consistently.

Can you try to login via the webpage linuxmail.org? I want to see if it works there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Henry

Let´s set a new password ***** you can easily remember though

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
For some reason the keyboard prints odd letters or symbols

Hehe OK, no worries, might be because of AnyDesk or something... should I try to install the printer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have instructions here

Please unplug the printer from the computer, if not done already.

Please enter your passwort at the prompt.

It´s the login password ***** Ubuntu that you need to use.

Please enter the password....

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The computer is wireless
I am not sure of the ubuntu password

OK, but without the password ***** can´t do anything :( It´s the same one you need to login into Ubuntu when you start your computer.

If you are getting to tired, just let me know and we continue tomorrow, I won´t be out of this world anytime soon hopefully... however you like.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am tired so tomorrow is good

Alright, all good :) Try to find out the password ***** the "Paul" account on your Ubuntu, we will need it to install the printer, without it, we will not be able to do it. There is also no way to "crack" it unfortunately.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok i'll try. It is a long time since I last did this. Let me know when it is a good time for you. Thanks.

Sure, I will let you know tomorrow, from 6 pm and up I´d say now. Sleep well and you are doing good, we will get there:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
I think the password ***** sudo is ********.
The stuff I found for changing a printer was as follows :
1 go to dash
2 type Printers
3 click on the Printer icon
4 click on (+)
5 click "network printers" and select printer (you may have to wait a minute for it to download)
6 click on your printers (true)
7 click "forward "
8 click Select for the Printer company

Good evening Paul:)

I hope you are doing fine? Great, you are becoming the Ubuntu expert now!:) So you have installed the printer already?

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
hi
I have not done the Printer. Could you?
I will authorise you just now then I will return to eat this meal with my family.

Paul,

sure, just bring AnyDesk to the foreground and I can login:)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have AnyDesk open here.

Great, I have set it up for unattended access now, if you don´t mind, so that you don´t have to confirm each time.

The password ***** ***** not correct :( Without it, I can´t get on. It must be the password ***** you use to log into Ubuntu usually, or a separate root-password ***** your brother did set.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok speak later.

Yes, anytime, but I do need the correct password ***** otherwise we are locked out from such system-operations :(

I´ll try via the internal printer adding commands, maybe that helps. However, it already shows a MG5750 as you can see, is it not working?

Ah I see, it´s configured wrong, can you let me know the IP of your network printer? That´s all we should need.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I just can't think what the password ***** Can you look at the email?

We did the email already yesterday, it should be working now, isn´t it?

Though for the printer, I just need to know it´s IP address and it then should work fine.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know how I get the IP for the printer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Email is not reliable it does not show sent mail!

OK, I am looking into this and if I can find anything with the printer, then will look again at the email problem.

To find the printer IP, I need to log in to the router, but this needs a password ***** Can you have a look at your Ubuntu screen and see if you know the password?

Got it! It was the default password ***** router was shipped with! I strongly recommend that we change that.

Also, the printer is not connected via WIFI, as I can see in the router now. Can you make sure the printer is turned on and has a active WIFI connection please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
unfortunately
my mobility problems mean that every time I do something my phone makes at least 2 noises.
Sorry I'm not quick.

No worries, just let me know about the printers WIFI connection as requested above, once you found the time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The superhub password ***** been entered.

Yes, I was already past that point as you can read above:) What I need you to do now, is to make sure that the printer is turned on and has a WIFI connection.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The printer is on Mary has sent it something to print and its done nothing

Yes, make sure it´s connect to the WIFI, it is not connected to the WIFI right now.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not sure how to check this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The internet connection for the television is off. Mary has just told me that, just as well I am here or you would get the blame!

I am not exactly sure what you mean, do you mean that you don´t have a WIFI connection anymore? Your thinkpad is connected fine it seems.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my last message to you failed. I can put in the password ***** the super hub

All good, we are already past the super hub, as I have the password ***** it already. What you need to do now, is to setup your printer to connect to your WIFI. Follow this tutorial:

https://youtu.be/Uep1weIMtXI?t=116

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
I will go through this with my daughter. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
Is that us done then?
Paul

Not yet, once you´ve done this with your daughter and the printer is connected with WIFI, then we will have to set it up in Ubuntu as well.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
I just sent my sister and e-mail and my desktop comes up with an error message.
Paul

Let me check.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I see you doing things. What do you think?

I am looking into it, but the error comes from mail.com, for some reason they are not allowing you to send emails via Evolution right now. I am trying to find out why this might be the case and why they are blocking you right now....

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are not my friends anyway. Good luck.

Yep, I understand that, haha! Anyhow, I´ve gone through all possible settings for sending emails and tried each one of them, it makes no difference. But it is not your email program which is throwing this error, it is mail.com, for whatever reason. You´d have to give them a call and tell them about this problem, so that they can fix in on their side. Or, you simply get another email provider (GMail for example), where these problems do not occur. I can then set it up for you in Evolution if you want.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have Gmail already. I got it when I got a new phone.

Great, if you want, I can setup this one instead in Evolution (or additionally, in case mail.com starts working again). For that all I´d need is your gmail.com address and you being at the Ubuntu Desktop, so that you can enter the password, once required.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
[email protected] com

OK, please enter your password *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It would help if there was 1 menu for in and out.

All done:) Have a good night Paul,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi. Paul's daughter here - link says video is unavailable, probably not available in UK as it is an American video? I am just wondering about your access to our internet connection - are you still linked in?

Hi :)

can you please try to play the video with another browser? The video is not county restricted at all, just checked.

I can log into your Ubuntu at anytime, yes.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What about other devices in the house? I will try it in another browser

I can only access your Ubuntu. Yes, please try from another browser, possibly best from Windows, since Ubuntu might have problems playing the video because of Flash / HTML5.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lorenz
thank you very much for your help. Let's leave it there now. Please disconnect from all devices now.
Take care.
Paul

Paul,

I am disconnected, I´d only connect if you ask me to do so of course!

Were you able to watch the video now?

Lorenz

Dear *****,

thank you for the kind words again! If you have any questions in the future and would like to work with me again, please enter them in the format "For expert ComputerVauck ONLY: Question ......." at the following site:

http://www.lorenzvauck.com/

It´s best if you bookmark the site directly in your browser.

I wish you a great time and remain until next time with best regards,

Lorenz Vauck