IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Using Outlook on a Mac. Cant find my filed emails.

Using Outlook on a Mac.
Cant find my filed emails.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Please tell me if you recently installed Outlook on your Mac, and can't find the e-mails, or you have been using Outlook on your Mac for a while now, but the e-mails suddenly disappeared?

Thanks,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Miro I think you have helped me before. Here is the message I just put on JA - thinking I was getting no answer to yesterdays question:
I like to have a subscription. Cancelled it while away for several months. Told I have to ask one question, pay, then will be offered a plan. Asked a question yesterday - no response at all!. So I'll try again. I was very brief yesterday as you are normally asked for more detail before waiting for response.
So ... I have an iMac running El Capitan 10.11.4. Outlook mail. My own domain. I have a lot of subfolders to the inbox with filed emails. Now I can't see any of the subfolders or filed emails. Sorry but I don't know when this happened as I was away for several months and returned with a lot to do to the current inbox, and didn't notice the subfolders missing! But I think this happened before - when I changed from Entourage to Outlook, and someone told me how to fix it but I cant remember the detail at all.
Help needed - I get loads of email of different types and need to have an ongoing filing system. Thank you
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again!

As far as new questions go, I see only this one. Thanks for the additional question description.

May I know if you access the same e-mail account on another computer or device, such as your phone or tablet? If so, are the e-mails missing there as well?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Regarding the JustAnswer subscription:

If you would like to enable it, but wasn't offered to do so, you can contact the JustAnswer customer service on this link:

http://ww2.justanswer.co.uk/en-gb/contact-us

Both the chat and phone support is available. Just choose the "Payments & Billing" category and "Memberships" as a topic, and click Apply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Miro
It's the filed messages - and the whole file structure that are missing. I don't have subfolders on ipad or phone. I'm fairly sure the emails themselves aren't missing on the mac - when I first changed to Outlook the file structure wasn't visible and someone (you?) told me how to get it back. It was fine for months. Now it's all gone again and I have just INBOX, drafts etc. I know this sounds ridiculous but they seemed to disappear while I was away for several months ...
Thanks for advice about subscription but I'm in touch with someone who hasn't said to do that so I'll see what happens there first!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

I am not sure why the e-mails disappeared, but I can take a look at it by connecting to your Mac computer remotely. Let me know if you would like that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'd be happy to do that - but sorry, only if there's no extra charge.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello again. I tried the subscription advice you gave but there is no Apply option. It says:
How do I subscribe to the JustAnswer membership?
New Customers: To receive an offer for our membership program, you will first need to post a question on JustAnswer. You will see an offer to subscribe while in the waiting room. There is another option to sign up after you give your Expert a positive rating on the page where you leave feedback for the Expert.It's getting to be a bit like Alice in Wonderland - I want to join again and I can't!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again!

Regarding the JustAnswer subscription:

Please try with this link:

https://secure.justanswer.co.uk/account/edit-subscription.aspx

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

As far as solving the e-mail problem remotely goes, a Secure Remote Assistance is considered as a Premium Service so there is an extra charge. However, what I can do is lower the standard fee which is $39 to a minimum fee of $5. That is the best I can do for you.

I will send you the offer now so you can review it. If you agree to the extra $5 charge, you can accept the offer and we can proceed with the Secure Remote Assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry Miro
I'm not prepared to pay for that, when it may be a very simple issue. In the past with JA I've had remote assistance as part of the basic service, it actually makes it quicker and easier for the expert as far as I can see, as opposed to lots of email writing. I see it as "hook them for £13 and then push up the price". I was on JA for quite a long time and many months went by asking no questions at all. When I did have a question it was a great service but maybe it has changed?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I used the link and it seems I am back on my subscription now so many thanks for that.
Mary
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

As I explained, Secure Remote Assistance is now one of the Premium Services. It might have been free before, but not any more. I am sorry for that. Other Premium Service, for example, is Phone Assistance. So, there is additional fee for that. I cannot proceed with a Secure Remote Assistance if you don't accept the offer. Minimum price I can set for it is $5.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't you have a go at diagnosing the problem with the normal email questions? It must be relatively simple - they are there I''m sure and need to be made visible. There must be a setting somewhere.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

I can try, but it isn't as effective as remote assistance that allows me to see the problem directly.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

OK, let's proceed using this chat mode.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Other than using e-mail programs such as Outlook or Entourage, is there a way to access your e-mail account using a web browser (web mail interface)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Miro.
A bit embarrassing - I have just found them! It was under "on my computer" rather than my inbox - since we changed to imap ... My son must have closed it while we were away ...
So - the next question we have is that my husband - on Windows 7 using Live Mail cant delete emails. They go to Trash not Deleted items. D Items is set to empty on exit, but no way we can find to empty Trash.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

I am very glad you found the e-mails!

Regarding the Windows Live Mail issue: did the deleted e-mails always go to Trash instead of Deleted Items mailbox?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He says yes, but he used to be able to delete them. I'm afraid he says he used to delete them again manually from the Trash folder ...
But now that doesn't work and they come bouncing back into the trash folder again.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

OK, no problem. Windows Live Mail usually puts the deleted e-mails into the Deleted Items mailbox, but that can be changed. To have the e-mails you delete put into the Deleted Items mailbox, rather than Trash, follow these instructions:

1. Start Windows Live Mail

2. Locate your e-mail account on the left. Right-click its name or e-mail address and select Properties

3. You will see several tabs. The tabs number and options displayed there depends on the account type used (IMAP, POP, Exchange). Assuming it is an IMAP account type, click on the IMAP tab

4. Make sure the "Store special folders on IMAP server" check-box is checked. Then, for "Deleted Items path:", type Deleted Items

5. Click OK and confirm that you want to refresh the folder list if asked

6. Now delete some e-mails and check if it went to Deleted Items mailbox

In case the account hasn't been configured as IMAP, please check all tabs shown there when you click Properties. One of them should display the option to change the mailbox for deleted items.

Let me know if it worked.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. It's weird. Deleted items (small i) is under Storage folders. Trash is under Inbox which seems weird to me. We tried deleting and it still went into Trash.
He says he has never had them go into DI and been able to delete all at a click!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

OK. Please tell me if it is a GMail e-mail account, Yahoo! e-mail account, or some other e-mail account? Also, was it configured as POP or IMAP? You can check that by right-clicking on the account and selecting Properties, and then click on the Servers tab.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Definitely IMAP. We have our own domain, brownsox.co.uk, hosted by Vidahost.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

OK. When you right-click on the e-mail account and select Properties, do you see the IMAP tab listed? If so, does it mention "Deleted Items path"?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IMAP and yes Deleted items
"Store special items on IMAP server ticked.
Deleted items path "Deleted items"
Apparently it did used to say Trash and he changed it when this problem first appeared. But as I said Trash is under Inbox not syored folders. Now it all looks as if it should be right but deletes are still not going into Deleted items. Ha - they are not now going into Trash either .... they are back in the inbox!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

All mailboxes you see under your e-mail account are a part of the e-mail account and are saved both on the computer and the e-mail server. Since the account is configured as IMAP, any change you do on your computer, such as delete an e-mail, move an e-mail, etc, will automatically be synced with the e-mail server.

However, all mailboxes you see under the Storage folders are not a part of the e-mail account. The mailboxes there represent mailboxes that are saved only on your computer, and not on the e-mail server.

So, if the Trash is under Inbox, it means it a part of the e-mail account. It probably cannot be deleted or renamed since it is used by the e-mail server, but you should be able to choose another mailbox to put the deleted e-mails into.

Since you say the e-mails now don't go anywhere, please do this test:

1. Right-click on the e-mail account and select New folder...

2. Give it any name that is not taken yet, for example, test123, and click OK

3. You should then see test123 created under your e-mail account, not under Storage folders

4. Now right-click on the e-mail account again and select Properties

5. Click on IMAP

6. For "Deleted Items path", type test123 and click OK

7. Click Yes to refresh the folder list

8. Now delete an e-mail message. Check if it went to test123 or elsewhere

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm afraid we both have to go out now. We will do this tomorrow morning. Are you UK time?
Sorry about this and many thanks for your patience so far.
Mary
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

No problem, you can try it whenever you are available. Yes, UK time.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good morning.
Tried that. DIs not going into test folder either.
660 DIs in Trash, under inbox. He deleted them all manually and they came back - all since September - before that they were capable of being manually deleted. Anything deleted since the problem started just disappears altogether - can't find them anywhere.
I am beginning to think it might be a server issue??
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again!

I am sorry to see the problem persists. It could be a server issue.

Is the same e-mail account set up on another computer or device, other than your husband's computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
on our shared ipad and Blackberry phone. He rarely looks at the ipad mail. I've just checked and it"s saying Server not responding.
Under inbox Trash says it has 631 messages but when opened it's empty. Test is there too, also empty. There's Drafts and Outbox not under inbox, presume stored. No Deleted Items/trash.
My account on the ipad has none of my subfolder structure - his does. Mine has Deleted messages - contents correct - and Trash at a lower level I think, empty.
Apologies for all this chaos!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

It's quite strange, indeed. Since you see different folder structure on every device, I suggest checking with the web mail directly. Since you mentioned the account was hosted by Vidahost, you should be able to use this link to sign in:

https://my.vidahost.com/clientarea.php

However, there may be another link for the web mail access, so check with the information you received from Vidahost when setting up the e-mail account.

Once logged in, see the folder structure there. Also, delete an e-mail and check where it went.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All on the same level here as I suppose you'd expect. Inbox, then alphabetically arranged list of his subfolders and Deleted Items, test, Junk etc.
NO Trash.
I deleted 2 items, they went straight to Deleted Items.
On my account webmail I have no subfolders just Junk DI Drafts and Sent. I don't know why that is either.
Cheers
Mary
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

The folder structure you see on the web mail should be present on all devices you access that account on. To confirm, your husband's computer with Windows Live Mail sees the same folder structure as on the web mail, but the problem is only with deleted items that don't go anywhere?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not exactly the same.
The order is slightly different but more importantly Webmail does not have Trash, Livemail does.
On Web mail the deleted items go to Deleted Items, there are 600 odd there (it probably only counts opened ones). On Live mail they used to go to Trash, now we don't know where new ones go but there are 700+ in Trash.
Good night!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the update!

If you don't need the e-mails that are both in "Trash" and "Deleted Items", go ahead and delete them. It is possible they caused the problem. Use the web mail interface to delete the e-mails in "Deleted Items" and use your computer or another device to delete the e-mails in "Trash". When using a computer, you can quickly select all e-mails in a folder by pressing the Ctrl and A buttons. You can then press the Shift and Delete keys at the same time to permanently delete the selected e-mails.

After that, exit and re-start Windows Live Mail. Access the IMAP tab in Windows Live Mail and set a desired folder for "Deleted Items path:". Delete some e-mails and check if it went to that folder.

Let me know the results.

Regards,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We're not quite there yet Miro. I deleted the DIs on webmail and they disappeared of their own accord from Trash on the PC.
We then did as you suggested, first creating a Di folder under Inbox (there is already one under storage). Tried to delete Trash but it wouldn't allow that.
Made the path Deleted items. Restarted LMail. Deleted something and it did not appear anywhere at first but then did appear - in Trash.
On Webmail the item we deleted appeared immediately in Di. There is no Trash folder on the webmail!
Mary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Misled you slightly above. I deleted something on webmail. That appeared immediately on webmail Di and in Trash on PC. The email Henry deleted on the PC didn't appear anywhere.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the additional information!

It is possible that the problem is with Windows Live Mail, especially since the e-mails you delete now don't appear anywhere. For that reason, my next suggestion would be to remove the account from Windows Live Mail, restart Windows Live Mail and re-add the same account. Since you use IMAP, none of the e-mails will be lost, but everything will be re-downloaded from the e-mail server.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you we'll do that.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

OK, let me know the results.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The reloaded account has Deleted items under inbox and also in Storage folders. It also has Trash in Inbox.
Deleted items still not appearing anywhere though :-(
One deleted item that I'd deleted on webmail earlier has appeared in the new Trash.
I was sure this would work. I'm sorry it's such a difficult one.
Mary
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again, Mary!

It's quite an unusual problem.

Are the "Deleted Items" and "Trash" mailboxes located within the "Inbox" mailbox like their sub-folders, or are not sub-folders, but only shown below "Inbox"?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are both in the (alphabetically arranged) list of subfolders, just like his own subfolders. There's an additional Deleted items under Storage folders.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for confirming!

I am really not sure what the cause of the problem is. It's really an usual problem!

What I can suggest you next is to check with any other e-mail program on your husband's computer. Add his account there and check if there is any difference compared to Windows Live Mail.

If there is Microsoft Office installed, you can use Microsoft Outlook. Start it and select to add an account when asked. If not asked, click on File and then on Accounts Settings and Account Settings... again. Select New... and type the account information.

Wait until all the e-mails have been downloaded, and then check where the e-mails go when you delete them.

Another good e-mail client is Mozilla Thunderbird. It is free and can be downloaded on this link:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

When installed, start it and then it will offer you to add an existing e-mail account. Type the account information. Wait until all the e-mails have been downloaded, and then check where the e-mails go when you delete them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Miro sorry for the delay, life just took over. Out all day tomorrow too but will get back to this on Thursday
Mary
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

No problem. Whenever you are available again, we can continue.

Regards,

IT Miro

Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

Hello again!

How is it going? Have you had a chance to follow the instructions I sent you several days ago?

Let me know,

IT Miro

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Really sorry it's half term and we have kids here, plus were away at the weekend. Tomorrow afternoon or Thursday we will be able to get back on to it.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 month ago.

OK, thanks for letting me know. Have fun with the kids! :)

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Huge apologies for not getting back to you. The problem is so random and it's not ideal me talking to you about Henry's PC. Plus we seem to be so busy at the moment. So I will now say problem solved and rate your service, which has indeed been excellent. Thank you.
Maybe we'll get you again when we ask another question in the New Year!
Expert:  IT Miro replied 9 days ago.

Hello again!
Thanks for your reply and feedback.

I am looking forward helping you again!

Regards,

IT Miro