Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

Thunderbird in Linux mint

Thunderbird in Linux mint
Category: Email
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 9 months ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help you as quick possible. Please sit back for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Can you please let me know if you can access the email address you are trying to retrieve via Thunderbird just fine in other mail programs / via webmail? With which provider do you have that email address?

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not trying to access an e-mail address but the e-mail client password
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Further, the password ***** fine for Thunderbird in Windows 7. I am running v 17.1 in Linux Mint
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I request Secure Remote Assistance. Does that help.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay. I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do, did you forget the password ***** or do you want to set a new one? Yes, I can also have a look via remote-assistance if you want, but that is a extra service with an extra price tag. I´ll make you an offer for that right away, but first would like to ask, if you have a remote-software installed within your Linux Mint already (like Teamviewer or AnyDesk for example)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
First, I have not forgotten the password ***** know that it is OK with the ISP, I do not want to set a new one, I just want the one have to work . I have Remote Debugging in Thunderbird enabled. That is fine we can come to the price of debugging later. I have been away to have my tea. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for letting me know and hope you´ve enjoyed your tea! Can you possibly please send me a screenshot of what exactly you are trying to achieve within Thunderbird? I have to honestly admit, that I am not clear yet about what exact problem you are having.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for the vagueness. I will have another go at the description. When I log on to Thunderbird a box asks for a password. I type in the password ***** press enter. It then repeats the original box asking for the password ***** pressing enter produces a new box asking to enter 'new password' (with 'cancel' and 'enter' buttons as well). That never works.
I can do a screen shot, Linux Mint has that facility.

I understand now, so you are not able to get into your Thunderbird at all, because of a password ***** do not remember?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I do remember the password, it works on the other side of the split drive in another Thunderbird Mail but I still cannot get into the Linux Mint one.

OK, thank you, ***** ***** tried to simply remove and reinstall Thunderbird already?

To me it sounds like something is screwed with the actual installation of it within Mint.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I go for that. I have tried downloading a fresh programme on top of the old one and it worked to a point bringing the version up to date. I am not sure how to remove the old version completely. I may lose a lot of settings and data but I am using imap so should get them back. In the past I closed down the computer to make sure the RAM is clean. It occurs to me the fault is in the data. Thanks

Yes, I think it´s the best option indeed too. You should be able to remove it via the package manager within Linux Mint, then do a fresh install. Since you are using IMAP, all you have to do is to freshly setup Thunderbird and walk through the settings, then it will sync with your emails again and nothing should be lost. Please let me know if it worked, if not, I might suggested a remote-assistance, so that I can look at the problem directly at your computer.

I would very happy about a positive rating (select 3 to 5 stars at the right top and click "submit"), because only then I get paid by JustAnswer with a part of your already accomplished payment, which mediated your question to me as an independent expert.

Thank you very much and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Dear Client,

thank you for the kind rating, which made me very happy! If you have any questions in the future and would like to work with me again, please enter them in the format "For expert ComputerVauck ONLY: Question ......." at the following site:

http://www.lorenzvauck.com/

It´s best if you bookmark the site directly in your browser.

I wish you a great time and remain until next time with best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Thanks so much for the bonus, I highly appreciate it and feel honored :-) All the best to you!