Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

How to fix "oops something went wrong" when signing in to

how to fix "oops something went wrong" when signing in to hotmail account on windows 10 (many browsers, cache cleared/inprivate browsing) can login ok on phone
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

If you try to sign in from a different compuer, do you have the same issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Can you remove the power to your wifi router, wait 3 minutes, connect the power, restart the computer and tell me if you can then sign in please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry I don't want you to remotely connect
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

You are referring to a service the website offers, which being optional, can be ignored if you do not wish to use it.

Please ignore it and reply here to my last instructions I sent you please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok restarted router & pc
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

tell me if you can then sign in please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
same problem. as before I get the message on both Chrome & Edge (using InPrivate Browsing). I enter hotmail email address & password, then it offers me CAPTCHA or a click on the Verify link. Either way I get the message. NB. I can use the hotmail account from my phone.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
here's the message text:
"Something went wrongWe can't get that information right now. Please try again later"
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, use the browser normally, not inprivate browsing as then it cannot load cookies once you sign in.

Can you then sign in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
same problem. (doesn't happen with my other hotmail email address btw) I can get into MSN home page but then when I try to use Outlook it errors as above. Here's the text again with the detail provided
Something went wrongWe can't get that information right now. Please try again later.
X-ClientId: 13F7EB407C6E4DA0839F558614E75C63
X-FEServer DB6PR07CA0140
Date:03/08/2017 10:27:14
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, the issue then is specifically for your account and how it interacts with the page and the database.

Understand that your mobile devices use different pages and servers to gain access.

I know its not what you may want tohear but you need to wait out the issue. The servers have a self check on them and will restart the account process when it canno sign in due to this, this is occuring with your account.

Customers of mine in the past have had to wait 24 hours and then they can sign in, a few needed to wait up to 48 hours, but in nearly all cases it is 24 hours, you will need to wait this out sorry Peter then you can sign in via the computer.

You could also use windows mail (click start, type in Mail and open it) and add your account there and normally via the app you can currently gain access.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks Richard. That's all for now.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just one more question. I've got into my account using windows mail as you suggested & found the Contacts list which is what I wanted as I want to migrate the contacts from Hotmail on my windows phone to google on my android phone!.
How can I export the Contacts (People) from windows mail to a CSV file??
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

you cannot sorry, it can only be done online.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what does "online" mean in this context?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Sorry, it means via the webpage, when you stop getting the oops error, as the export is there under the People (you click on the top left and you select People, then Manage / Export

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK. Now I understand. Frustrating to see all the contacts on my window but not to be able to export them!
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

I understand, this is the limitation with outlook, but once you access it again via the webpage you can export, it is just Mail is very basic.

Let me know if you need anything else and please remember the service rating

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nothing to do but wait 24-48 hours:-( Thanks for your help. I'll do the rating.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

yes as it is not related to your computer all your devices at all, it is only in the contol of Microsoft.