Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Have had a recent update of windows and now cannot use the

Customer Question

Have had a recent update of windows and now cannot use the old version of outlook . When trying to send an email using the new version I get a message telling me that the recipient does not have a valid encryption certificate. Also, I can no longer get web access. I am typing this from an iPad
Assistant: How long has this been an issue?
Customer: About three days
Assistant: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: Outlook
Assistant: How long has this been going on with your email account? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Three days. Have tried to find out what an encryption certificate is but no success. I've checked as many settings as I can find but have not found any info to help. I'm not an expert user!
Assistant: Anything else you want the email expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else so far
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please the version of windows you are using?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Windows10
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, I want to do a system restore please.

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key (the one to the left of the left ALT key) + R and type in the run box that opens

rstrui

Press enter

Then follow the onscreen steps to choose a system restore and choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete and tell me if it now functions correctly please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Started now...
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Restart completed but the problem is still there. I tried to send an email and the message came at the top of the screen "this message can't be sent because none of the recipients have a valid encryption certificate"
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me the version of outlook you are using please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Version 17.8500.40725.0
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

It will be 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry - where will I find that?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Try to so this and tell me if you can complete these instructions

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
  2. Click the Security tab.
  3. In the Default Setting list, make sure that the correct security profile for the digital ID that you want to use is selected. To verify your certificate settings, click Settings. You can click Choose, and then click View Certificate to view your certificate details.
  4. Under Digital IDs (Certificates), click Publish to GAL, and then click OK. This will republish the correct certificate to the global address list to make sure that users are addressing you with the correct digital certificate.
  5. Click OK when you are prompted that your certificates were published successfully.
  6. Click OK to exit the Options dialog box.

Let me know please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok..I used to be able to find tools on my old Windows but where are they on Windows 10? Btw I have found the date which is 2017.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

You ddo this in outllook please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I go to outlook on the main screen and the only thing I see saying Tools is F12 developer tools. The screen does not respond and after 12 seconds it reverts to blue screen.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Open Outlook > file > Options > Trust Center> E-mail Security> Encrypted e-mail> uncheck Encrypt contents and attachments for outgoing messages check box> click OK.

Then try again please to send

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have restarted my computer as I cannot find "outlook" anywhere. I now get a blue screen with a window image at the right. I click on the little window bottom left side with file names down the right and tiles on the screen. Where do I go from there to start the steps you have given me?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

You now cannot find your email program outlook?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have an icon for outlook and as mentioned earlier it does seem to start opening but it is unresponsive and reverts to the home blue screen after 12 seconds. There is another email outlook icon but this the on where I can receive emails but cannot reply - it comes up with the message I mentioned earlier about no encryption certificate. I don't see any tools icon there, just a setting button. If I click on that it gives me a menu but here is nothing there that is like the set of instructions you sent me
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would it help to connect directly to my computer?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

yes as I can then do the steps directly.

Please accept the request

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just wondering if you need some information to access my laptop as I have been writing to you from another device?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe

Else for a Mac computer, Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.dmg

A program will start downloading to your computer (it does not open a webpage, but the file will start downloading to your computer).

Run the program and it shows you and ID and Password.

Give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Am I right that the link should be opened on the laptop computer that has the problem in it rather than on this iPad that I have been writing to you on? If so, I can't do that because the laptop won't let me access the web. If you can send me link in an email to***@******.*** that may work.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

yes, you do the instructions on the problem link please

You can just type it into the web browser

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The web browser isn't working! Can you send the link in an email, as I can receive emails on the laptop so may be able to get the link that way
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

I am unable to email customers.

But email it from your iPad to yourself to arrive on the computer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I hadn't thought of that! I sent it to myself but the link didn't work because my laptop does not appear to connect to the internet. It is in fact connected as emails are arriving ok, just the web browser is not working. I have checked the router and restarted it but still no difference.Any ideas Where we go from here?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

If emails are arriving you would have got the one you sent right?

So it looks like the compuiter has no internet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it arrived ok but when I clicked on the link it went to the web screen but did nothing, not even the web address appeared in the line near the top and after the usual 12 seconds it flicked back to the blue home screen it looks as if the computer has no internet connection, but it does as emails are arriving as normal. It is as if only part of the computer is linking the connection to the internet. The router is obviously working fine as we are able to communicate and the computer icon shows the internet connection as working normally.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Click start, type in cmd and wait for command prompt to appear. Right click it and select run as administrator

Then type each of the command lines below into the black window that opens, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the computer and check if it now has internet.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did all that but still no internet access apart from getting emails.. have to go out now for about an hour .
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Which internet browser are you using?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The one I am communicating with you on is iOS 10.3.2 on an Apple iPad. The browser on the laptop that has the problems is Microsoft edge
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, than do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try internet please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It will not allow me to do that though I am administrator (I checked that). It may be a silly question, but the commands you ask me to put in seem more like Windows 7 than 10. For example when you refer to the Start button, which I don't have on the home screen. Did I say that the operating system is Windows 10?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

You are not doing the instuctions as I listed

You just clicked on command prompt

Plus there was no start button on the instructions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That was earlier in our correspondence. I pressed the windows key at the bottom left corner of the keyboard and the X key together and got a black box as attached picture. I can see no command key.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, now i am confused.

You replied

"Did all that but still no internet access apart from getting emails.. have to go out now for about an hour ."

But now you are saying

"It will not allow me to do that though I am administrator"

Can yoju clarify whuch it is please?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

I am not clear if you did the previous instructions before or not, and we cannot skip them if you did not.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

You did reply you did, but now you are indicating you could not complete the instructions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm confused by this laptop too! The first time I went through your instructions at 5.59 I did get a message that I needed to log in as administrator, but I carried on regardless and the previous instructions you gave me appeared to have been accepted by the laptop but they had no effect on the problem. So, yes, I did carry out these instructions.The second set you sent at 08.05 also told me need to log in as administrator, but the laptop did not allow me to continue with the input.In case it's helpful, the only way I was able to get a command prompt was by typing "Cmd" and clicking on the search results that came up. Did you get the screen shot ok?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Type CMD and then right click on it and it is there you can select run as administrator.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Aha. That worked and I am logged in as administrator will go through the instructions now...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have completed the 05.59 instructions but still no internet access. I am now Following the next set (08.05) verification phase.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Final scan now progressing. Will let you know outcome. Thanks for your patience!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Still working away at 10% so far. As it's now 23.00h I'll leave it overnight and get back to you tomorrow. I hope that is ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The instructions you sent me have run overnight, apparently successfully, but the position is still the same: my laptop will not connect the web. I still have the same scenario that I go to Microsoft Edge, have an unresponsive screen and after 12 seconds it reverts to the blue home screen. I cannot action the link yo sent me to allow you to access directly.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, click start, type in iexplore.exe

press enter

Does internet explorer then work?