JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James has experience in a wide range of e-mails clients from Outlook to Lotus Notes and Webmail.
75967336

I have a MFC-J5625DW printer. Last year it stopped working

I have a MFC-J5625DW printer.
Last year it stopped working altogether, is doesn't switch on. As I've been poorly it's only now I need to address the problem.
Can you help?
Monica Brown

Is there any sign of life (lights etc) is it completely dead when you plug it in and go to switch it on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sign of life at all

If you wiggle the power lead at the back I take it nothing happens either, have you also tried using a different cable (appreciate you changed the fuse but it may be the cable itself at fault)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No nothing. Seems it's the on/off switch malfunctioning. If so where do I get it repaired

How old is the machine, in most cases these are not designed to be repaired as the switch forms part of the main PCB.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 18 months old

I will see if I can source parts for this model, but would imagine the cost of repair would make it uneconomical, please give me a short while to locate the part.

I have checked the main firms who provide parts, and none provide spares for you model, it wont be the front PCB at fault but the main power board which the cable plugs into at the back. As the act of plugging the mains power in would start the printer up where it would start showing signs of life even with a faulty control panel/switch at the front.

Brother are going to give me a call back in 30 minutes with a quote for the new power board, but would think this will be in excess of £60 just for the part.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you guarantee this would work? If so, go ahead as a new printer would cost more than £60. But if you're not sure I lose out on all sides.

I need to see what they come back with in terms of a quote first, but will come back to you, I cant be 100% sure as I havent seen the appliance but if you have a multi meter and open up the printer and check if power is leaving the PCB to the main control board.

I still havent heard back from Brother and will chase them again, and get back to you ASAP

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, the second part of your email I don't understand! I'm out this afternoon, so please leave a message and I'll get back to you.

Ok Brother are showing the part as £86.40 inc VAT and on a 3 week wait for delivery, this is the component which is most likely causing the fault on your printer.

You mentioned you were confused about part of my response above, I assume that was with regard to proving the fault, have you used a multi meter before, it not your probably better leaving it to a service centre to replace the board should you go down that option, as they may be able to source the part cheaper than you can going via consumer channels.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you James.

Appreciate if you can rate the service received using the star rating on this page.