Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

I was suspended from work without knowing y my boss said she

Customer Question

I was suspended from work without knowing y my boss said she has to look into it before she can tell me is this right
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I need to know ASAP thank you
Expert:  WendyW-Mod replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Regards,
Wendy
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I will try and help you with this.

When were you suspended?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Friday the 9 November I had just come back off holiday on the tues and found one of my clients had not been treated very well and so I reported this to the office on the wed and I got told I was suspended on the Friday
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
How long were you employed in this position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
7years
Expert:  Alice H replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

An employer can suspend an employee pending an investigation. Depending on the nature of the matter being investigated the suspension could be with or without pay. The employment contract would normally stipulate the circumstances in which pay can be withheld.

An employer should also put the reasons for the suspension in writing and, if any evidence is found of misconduct, should proceed then commence on the disciplinary procedure and give you an opportunity to give your account of the circumstances. The employer then has to decide whether or not there is a case against you for dismissal.

I think in your situation you have to wait for the letter with reasons before deciding the next step. If this happened last Friday then you should give them 7 days to get the reasons to you. If no letter is forthcoming you can lodge a complaint and ask to return to your duties.

Your employer has a duty to carry out a fair investigation and deal with the matter in a reasonable and proportionate way. If they fail to do this you could claim compensation.

I suggest you come back to me once you receive the reasons and we can discuss your options further.