Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

Im representing my wife in a tribunal because we cant afford

Customer Question

I'm representing my wife in a tribunal because we can't afford qualified legal representation. I read a gov.uk webpage https://www.gov.uk/time-off-employment-hearing-tribunal, which said that claimant and a work colleague have the right to take paid leave to go before an employment tribunal. I'm not a "work colleague" in the strict sense of the word (my wife are both doctors, but working for different hospitals), but obviously my presence at tribunal is required as her representative. My employer has read the gov.uk webpage but say they can find no statutory obligation to give me paid leave as her representative. Can you pls advise me further whether I have a right to paid leave to represent my wife and what is the statutory basis for this? Many thanks in advance.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I will try and help you with this.

A worker is permitted to take a reasonable amount of paid time off during his or her working hours to accompany a colleague to a disciplinary or grievance hearing. The worker is also entitled to paid time off to give evidence at a tribunal.

Unfortunately, there is no statutory right to paid time off to represent a spouse at a tribunal.