michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience of dealing with employment law matters and qualified mediator
12609314

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i was made redundant on dec 31st

Customer Question

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i was made redundant on dec 31st 2012 from ocean cleaning contract.i did not recieve my redundancy money when i left the employment but was told it would be in the next pay run which is today 1-2-2013. after numerous phone calls today to see why redundancy monies have not been paid and recieving no reasonable answer i need to know what else i can do .I worked for the company for roughly 11 years i am 63 years old thank you
Expert:  michael holly replied 3 years ago.

Dear Linda

You have 2 options .You can either sue for the money in the County Court as a debt or take proceedings in the Employment tribunal for unfair dismissal on the basis that you were made redundant but the redundancy payment has not been made and hence you have been unfairly dismissed.

However what I would do first is write to them and give them another week to pay or you will take the above action.The reason is that there is no set time limit for paying redundancy monies , it must be done within a "reasonable" time and so I would give a little longer than the date they promised it would be paid by.That way you cannot be accused of not giving them a chance.Another reason is that I know that making one off payments like redundancy payments tends to really confuse the wages departments of most companies, they invariably make a mess of it so it rarely happens on time.

I hope this helps. If there are any further points please reply

Best wishes

Yours sincerely