Experience:  30 years experience as a solicitor.
31090051

Hi, Some advice please. My daughter in law is 12 weeks pregnant

Customer Question

Hi, Some advice please.

My daughter in law is 12 weeks pregnant and has just been made redundant. She is a florist. She told her employer she was pregnant about 5 weeks ago. A couple of weeks ago the owner of the florist called two of the staff in and told them that one of their floristry contracts had been reduced but there was nothing to worry about because she had enough funds to keep the girls on. A week later my Daughter in Law was called aside and told she was being made redundant. The owner of the florist is now using Freelance florists to cover her shifts and has given the remaining two staff members a pay rise. We believe that my DIL has been made redundant because of her pregnancy, she was not told that she could appeal her redundancy and is actually leaving work tomorrow. I am currently drafting a letter of appeal. Should we state that we believe she has been unfairly treated because of her pregnancy or should we leave that until a later date.
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
She has to appeal on the basis of sex discrimination. If she doesn't do that at the outset she won't be able to use that later.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am sorry I have not come back to you earlier as I have had problems with the internet and have only just managed to get back online. What should I say in the Appeal Letter, if I say that she is appealing on sex discrimination grounds do I have to say that we believe that she was made redundant because of her pregnancy or should we hold the pregnancy part back until we receive a reply from her employers. Should we list the points we feel were unfair or just say that we are appealing and leave it to them to come back to us. The Ex employers do not know that my DIL knows about the salary increases to the other staff members, should we also ask what redundancy scoring criteria was used. I really do not know how to start so apologies for going on. In your opinion do you feel we have grounds to appeal her redundancy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am sorry I have not come back to you earlier as I have had problems with the internet and have only just managed to get back online. What should I say in the Appeal Letter, if I say that she is appealing on sex discrimination grounds do I have to say that we believe that she was made redundant because of her pregnancy or should we hold the pregnancy part back until we receive a reply from her employers. Should we list the points we feel were unfair or just say that we are appealing and leave it to them to come back to us. The Ex employers do not know that my DIL knows about the salary increases to the other staff members, should we also ask what redundancy scoring criteria was used. I really do not know how to start so apologies for going on. In your opinion do you feel we have grounds to appeal her redundancy. I do not know what is going on with the website but it keeps asking me for my email address, I have used this service before but it does not recognise my address. My email address is [email protected] I am not receiving any notifications of answers to my questions.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
You should simply appeal on the basis that she is being made redundant and you should ask in the letter for the criteria used for redundancy. You do not have to tell them at this stage that you are making a claim based on sex discrimination.