Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 20+ years legal experience
30932268

Good afternoon I was called a degoratary name by a member

Customer Question

Good afternoon

I was called a degoratary name by a member of staff by text in December last year, as we do not have an HR department I complained to my managing director as my boss the office administrator is this persons mum. The managing director spoke to the person and he was made to apologise to me, but I refused his apology as I now know what he thinks of me, and also the managing director told him to look for a new job. I do not know what notice he was given and when I asked the managing director I was told that he could not discuss another employee with me.

This person is still working with the company I have to deal with him when he is on site but I only talk to him on work related matters. I have now found out that he is working overtime at weekends which I think is wrong.

I would like to know where do I stand in this matter?
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I will try and help you with this.

Your way forward is to raise a grievance with your employer setting out the issues which you are concerned about. The grievance is essentially a complaint. Your employer should address the concerns you have raised. If they fail to do so you might be able to bring claim to the Employment Tribunal for compensation. However you will need to move very quickly as the time limits are short and the time for bringing a claim to the ET is 3 months and looking at the history of the matter the time limit in your case will expire in March 2013.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

I am following up our conversation. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes