Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

carpet fitter has been accused of damaging new staircase. This

Customer Question

carpet fitter has been accused of damaging new staircase. This apparently has crumpled two months after fitting. Whose fault is this - surely any fault should be diagnosed immediately and the fitter allowed to inspect the work - not notifying him two months later?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Can we have full background please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi my husband contracted to a company and was asked to fit carpet to new stairs carpet runner. Nothing was labelled to state not to nail gripper underlay was stapled, gripper nailed and runner fitted before Christmas 2012. Two weeks ago he was presented with a bill for £1300 to replace staircase. He was not informed of any complaint and not invited to meet on site to discuss. We wrote disputing claim and asked for appnt to meet with customer. This letter has been ignored. Company are with holding this amount of outstanding money on account. We have written again giving them 7 days to pay, respond and get appnt set up. Knowing the company do not expect to hear from them. Surely contractors should be informed as soon as any possible complaint is received and given opp to rectify if justified. Anything could have happened to staircase during this time period please advise
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid that this doesn't
make sense. I need the actual physical details of what has happened and why.

How is he supposed to fit the carpet then?

What is special about this staircase?

What has "crumpled"?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please see information above. The staircase was new. Sometimes there are instructions listed which advise of best method of fixings there was not. The invoice states new nosings and panels required.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I cannot answer with the information supplied.

I need the actual physical details of what has happened and why.

What is special about this staircase?

What has "crumpled"?

Why new nosing? What new panels?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Imagine a staircase with nosing which are stair treads and panels which support under the stair treads ( i presume) basically the contractor has nailed the gripper to secure the carpet this apparently has damaged the staircase making it insecure and requiring new treads.With any damage I would expect a contractor to be invited to look at the work explain if this is the case and be allowed to recitify. This has not happened.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I am
extremely familiar with the structure of a staircase. Runners/treads and risers
and nosings and strings.

I am
wondering why the staircase "crumpled". I'm wondering what crumpled. If the
whole thing is carpeted, I'm wondering how this came to light. I am wondering
why the stairs need new nosings or panels (I don't know what they mean by
panels) because nothing is attached to the nosing of the stairs.

Okay,
trying to move this forward because clearly it appears the know one knows what
is wrong with it. Although this is a bit like saying the engine of my card is
making a noise but I just had it serviced what is the noise and whose fault is
it. Do you get my meaning?

You
asked whose fault it was. It would depend what the damage is.

They
would have to prove that the carpet fitter was negligent and that the negligence
caused the damage.

I
don't know how he's supposed to fit carpet if he is not allowed to fix it to
the stairs! It would fall off!!

I
don't know how he has been contacted or what it says. Can you attach the letter
or forward it to me? At this stage in time, I just don't have enough
information to be able to even start to tell you how to deal with this.