taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Can any one answer a question I have about training my staff

Customer Question

Can any one answer a question I have about training my staff in food hygiene, my head chef has an out of date certificate does he have to renew it?
I'm the owner of a takeaway we have had complaints of customers feeling ill. I am unsure of some of my head chefs ways of handling food and I want him to update his food hygiene certificate he has been working for me for 18 months we have no contract but I want to introduce one now can I make a upto date hygiene certificate part of a new contract for his position?
Expert:  taratill replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, it is a reasonable managent request for you to require him to update his food hygiene training as your business is d posed to risk if he does not.

If he refuses to do so you would have grounds to terminate his employment for gross misconduct (his refusal to follow a reasonable management request).

You would need to follow a disciplinary procedure first.

Please rember to give my answer positive feedback. I will be happy to snswer your follow on questions.