29905560

I work as an assembly supervisor and am in a selection pool

Customer Question

I work as an assembly supervisor and am in a selection pool of 15 where 4 are to be made redundant and I am one of those at risk. I have discovered that one of the people in the pool was only given their contract on the day before the redundancies were announced and is not at risk having supposedly scored more on the performance element of the criteria even though he has only been in the job for four months. I raised this at my first consultation meeting and was told that as he has been doing the job on a seconded basis for 4 months they had to make him up. Is this fair, other seconded supervisors, team leaders etc have always had to wait twelve months before getting their permanent contract. Also the company must have known already that they were going to announce redundancies and this decision has added another person to the pool.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.

JACUSTOMER-h88m7del- :

2 Years and 10 months, I worked there for 9 months previously

Ben Jones :

Apologies for the slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier. There is nothing wrong legally with the employer has done. If there are employees doing the same job as those who are at risk of redundancy the employer has to include them as well, whether they are permanent or not. The employer cannot be selective over those who are permanent workers or those who are on secondment. The fact they were only just recently issued with a contract will not change anything as they would have had to be included in the redundancy exercise anyway.