29905560

For Ben Jones.Further to my earlier question this is the

Customer Question

For Ben Jones. Further to my earlier question this is the scenario I would like to get your opinion on: Company A runs three call centres, in Sunderland, Glasgow and Plymouth. Call volumes have dropped and the management have come to the conclusion that they can service all likely future work from only two centres. The company receives a good offer to take over the lease of the premises it occupies in Sunderland and the company’s board decides that if this deal goes head they will close the Sunderland centre. However, if the deal falls through then since the Sunderland operation is most efficient, they will close one of the other two sites. The CEO wants to avoid making any announcement until contracts are exchanged on the lease in Sunderland. What risks would the CEO’s strategy entail in terms of the law on collective consultation for redundancy? Consider both the question of whether there would be breaches of the law and what any remedies might be. ... Would I be right in assuming that TUPE would apply here if the deal for the Sunderland depot goes ahead. Also, ought I discuss possible dismissals for some other substantial reason (with the lack of work in a given depot being the reason) or is that outside the scope of the question? Thanks for your answers, they really help me get my head around the issues. I actually had your help for my last essays around Christmas time which helped me get a really good mark!

Edit: I'm not sure why it didn't ask me to pay this time, but if you can help me with sufficient detail I shall tip you instead!

Ben Jones :

Hello again, when do you need this by?

Customer :

I intend to write it all up tomorrow. But I need to have a final draft completed by Thursday afternoon.

Customer :

There were 3 other parts to it but this is the section that I feel threatened by so I wanted to spitball with someone I know for sure understands the subject.

Ben Jones :

ok that may be an issue from my side unfortunately as I have to go offline to travel now and won't really be around to do this by the time it is required. There are a few other employment law experts here that could assist you instead - I will have to opt out of this question first and then it will just become open to all others

Customer :

Ok, is there any chance you could pass it onto someone you recommend?

Customer :

Or will it simply be first come, first served?

Ben Jones :

it will be the latter - there is no order of priority here

Customer :

Ah ok nevermind.

Ben Jones :

everyone will see it though

Customer :

If I'd known that I would have removed the bits that were aimed specifically at you!

Customer :

But thank you for your help thus far.

Ben Jones :

it's not really an issue - sorry i wasn't sure how complex it would be and for this particular topic I can't just give you a quick answer now...

Customer :

That's fine. I realise it's quite complex! I got this far but these bits on collective discussions and transfers of undertakings I utterly hate!

Ben Jones :

not just you... :)

Customer :

Haha! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Customer :

Anyway I shall let you get away. Thank you for your help to date I'm sure I shall be in touch again.

Customer :

Safe travels.

Ben Jones :

any time, just unfortunate timing today....thanks

Customer :

Do I need to rate or does you opting out change that?

Ben Jones :

No need to rate as I never answered it. So just leave it as it is until someone new picks it up

Customer :

Ok thanks very much!

Ben Jones :

Welcome

Customer :

Hi Ben,

I'm not sure if I should have seen a change but this question still looks assigned to you and still says "Expert Replied". Just in case you forgot to opt out!

Customer :

Ben Jones :

Hi I have opted out so from the experts' side it shows as me having opted out and it is open to everyone else