29905560

i was recently of work on long term sickness and during this

Customer Question

i was recently of work on long term sickness and during this time my manager asked for weekly updates on my recovery even though i was signed of for months at a time and when i called to update her she tried diagnosing me down the phone saying there was nothing wrong with me and that i had to go back to work, she called me at home and also my partner multiple times in single days, she also discussed me with my co-workers and insinuated to them that im making my illness up and that i am a liar, what, if anything can i do about this?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.

JACUSTOMER-vxdfye87- :

ive worked there for 5 years

Ben Jones :

Apologies for the slight delay, I experienced some temporary connection issues earlier. Whilst it is important for employers to maintain appropriate contact with employees on sick leave, the level of contact will vary from one case to the next.

A balance should be struck between showing concern and offering support, and maintaining sufficient distance so that the employee does not feel pressured.

Contact could, for example, be limited to roughly once a fortnight, however employers should avoid overbearing or intrusive contact, or any other course of conduct that could cause distress such as to amount to harassment

The employer would never be in a position to 'diagnose' the employee and they should only rely on professional opinion to do so, such as doctor's notes or reports.

If you believe that your employer is being overbearing in this situation and treating you unfairly then you may ask them to limit their contact. If it continues then you also have the option of going down the formal grievance route and raising a formal complaint with the employer.

Ben Jones :

Can i assist further? Your query has been answered yet I see you left a negative rating?