29905560

I was told by my employer before I took a new job that my wages

I was told by my employer before I took a new job that my wages would go up to £15 an hour after 12 weeks, I have this in writing. My employer is now refusing to increase my wages above £9.47 an hour including a 7% shift allowance for working unsociable hours. Is there anything I can do about this?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.

Customer: Or only worked here for 7 weeks so far but every week they've messed my pay up, either missing off overtime hours or paying me the wrong hourly rate.
Customer: Ive only worked here for 7 weeks so far but every week they've messed my pay up, either missing off overtime hours or paying me the wrong hourly rate.
Ben Jones :

So you do not yet know that after 12 weeks your pay will not actually be increased as there are still 5 weeks to go?

Ben Jones :

Just need to go off for a short period will respond as soon as I return, thanks

Customer: I had a phone call from my employer on Friday and he confirmed with me, after much debate, that my wages will increase after 12 weeks to, and I quote, £15 odd. However, I got a text message from him earlier today which reads as follows: Hi mike, the payrate that you will be on after the 12 weeks is up is £9.46 that includes 7% shift allowance for the shift that you do, anything else you need just give me a call, thanks
Ben Jones :

Hello again, the only thing you can do is argue that a failure to award you the pay increase amounts to unlawful deduction of wages. To have any chance of succeeding you must be able to show that this pay increase was guaranteed and that it did not take place once it was due. Therefore, you cannot do anything about this now as the rise is not due to happen for another 5 weeks. Once that period has elapsed and you are not getting paid what you were contractually due, you may consider making the above claim in the employment tribunal and seeking a formal resolution that way

Customer: Ok, thanks for your help.
Ben Jones :

My pleasure. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service I have provided you with as that is an important part of our process. Thank you