Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I note the Hillsborough investigation has recently advertised

I note the Hillsborough investigation has recently advertised a number of posts for staff to work on the enquiry in various contract roles. One of the stipulations is that people who have previously worked for West Midlands, Merseyside, South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire police forces are not permitted to apply. The reason given is to ensure absolute impartiality in view of historical links to these forces.
(I understand Officers from around 30 different forces actually worked at the tragic football match which is under investigation including Greater Manchester Police who I believe are hosting the John Stoddart enquiry and working in partnership with the IPCC).
Is it legal for the police service to exclude applicants on this basis (West Yorkshire specifically is not mentioned in the Ministerial Statement by Theresa May in relation to recruitment)
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today.

Yes, because of the sensitive nature and possibility that employees might have had access to inside information they are allowed to do this. It is to try to ensure no bias.

Sorry. I know it isnt what you wantto hear but there is no point in me misleading you.

Does that answer the question?

Can I help further?

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you want to hear).
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It doesn’t give me “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.

I am offline shortly until tomorrow