29905560

i was working for a Local Authority. I raised a grievance

Customer Question

i was working for a Local Authority. I raised a grievance but the procedure was not followed properly. The Council will do nothing. To whom can I complain as I don't think the Local Authority Ombudsman tackles work related disputes.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.

Ben Jones :

Also please provide details of what your grievance was for and how it was not dealt with properly by the employer?

JACUSTOMER-j6bv7sx5- :

My grievance concerned the fact that my manager "found" a job for his new girlfriend - and a year prior to that he done the same thing for his then wife. He was also racist and sexist and these factors were included in my grievance. However, despite my requests I never received chapter and verse on their policy for employment of girlfriends etc and my allegations on other matters were just refuted.

JACUSTOMER-j6bv7sx5- :

However, my main "beef" was how the grievance was conducted. The person concerned didn't just hear my points but spent more time making unfounded allegations about me. In particular, that he had "several reports that I regularly intimidated a younger member of staff". This was all bunkum but still found its way into his final report.It was only after 3 months of demanding details so that I could defend myself that they dropped this allegation. I still don't know the details.

JACUSTOMER-j6bv7sx5- :

This person also "tweaked" evidence. My colleague Bill gave some evidence in an interview and then when I showed what was written in the report he said it was not hat he said. I appealed against this but no one wants to talk to Bill again.

JACUSTOMER-j6bv7sx5- :

This person when he took on his role was a former manager the department I worked in - before I joined - but half way through my grievance he became the new manager and accordingly was speaking to witnesses in a dual and biased role.

JACUSTOMER-j6bv7sx5- :

These re the bare facts. I joined the council because arthritis and stress stopped me in my former career but I was forced to leave the council because of this treatment and the effect on my health. I didn't want persue legal action (money and the toll on my health) but I wonder if there was some sort of Ombudsman that looks into fair play in such internal investigations.

Ben Jones :

When did you leave and how long did you work there for?