Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

i took 3 days off when my husband had heart attack i had to

Customer Question

i took 3 days off when my husband had heart attack i had to use holiday entitlement or lose pay should i have compassionate leave
Expert:  Kasare replied 4 years ago.
Good evening, thank you for your question, I will assist you with this.

As an employee you are allowed time off work to deal with an emergency involving a dependant. Such definition of dependant includes a spouse. However, whilst you're allowed a "reasonable" amount of time, there is no set time as it depends on the situation.

Your employer may pay you for time taken off to care for dependants but there is no legal obligation to do so. You should check your contact or company handbook to see if this situation, ie emergencies, is covered.

By asking you, it seems apparent that your employers do not intend paying you compassionate leave, however they have offered you the option of taking the time as annual leave so that it doesnt affect our wages. it is worth checking the handbook in any event.

If there is anything else I can assist you with regarding this please ask.