29905560

I was asked to look at another pub whilst on annual leave,

Customer Question

I was asked to look at another pub whilst on annual leave, this I agreed to but was undecided whether I liked it. I was flying to Malta the next day and said I would discuss when I returned from annual leave. Whilst I was in Malta I received a text telling me that I had to take the pub from the next Thursday even though my annual leave did not finish till the Friday. I returned to England on the Monday and then had to pack up and arrange removals asap. What rights do I have because the company have ignored this as part of a grievance

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What does your contract say about this?

JACUSTOMER-g32dwyfh- : Not sure but think they have to give me 2 weeks notice to move, I am wondering about the fact that it was all done whilst I was on annual leave.
Ben Jones :

As long as the company has given you the required notice, it would not matter whether part of this notice was during all or part of your annual leave. You are still an employee of the company during that time and it does not mean that the employer cannot give you notice during that period. Of course there are circumstances when the employer should be somewhat flexible, such as if the process required you to arrange removals of your possessions, therefore meaning that you may not have been ready to start working in the new location in time. Whilst you may not necessarily be expected to be given the full 2 weeks' notice whilst you are in work rather than on annual leave, you may have expected to be given a few extra days to ensure that you are not rushing around so much and placed under such stress. However, this is a 'good practice' issue that would be expected from a reasonable employer, legally they are still entitled to give you the 2 weeks' notice period even if it covers your annual leave period, unless the relevant clause specifically excluded such time from the notice.

Ben Jones :

Has this answered your query?