Max Lowry, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

My manager has been making inappropriate comments at me and

Customer Question

My manager has been making inappropriate comments at me and today took it a step too far, in which he grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him. I have told him in the past that I am not comfortable with him talking like that, but he still carried on. He does it in front if all the staff and does not care. He took my phone from me today and asked my boyfriend if he could marry me. This has created personal problems in my life and my working life. I am already undergoing depression, and I am scared to go back to work. But I need the money so I cannot afford to just leave. Please advice me on what to do now.
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 3 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

You should raise the issue as you intend to with your area manager tomorrow.

Max Lowry :

Also, you should consider making a formal grievance, so that this is on the record, and it's clear you require your employer to take some immediate action about this and report back to you accordingly. This could include disciplinary action against the individual concerned.

Max Lowry :

Hello.

JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : So I basically have to make a written complaint to head office
Max Lowry :

This would, in my view, be a sensible thing to do if the present informal attempts (by you) have not succeeded.

Max Lowry :

You don't "have to" do this though - you could try and resolve it informally with the area manager tomorrow.

Max Lowry :

But it's often best to have things "on the record" - just in case.

JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : I just feel so down, I don't even know if moving branches is an option anymore. I'm just scared that wherever I go someone else is going to treat me like that. I'm scared to even work with the company
JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : He's done this previously with another girl who used to work with us, and after she walked out for the same reason he started texting her and threatening her, what if he does the same to me. He knows where I live and everything.
Max Lowry :

Okay - if this has had a significant effect on you, and it sounds like it might have, then perhaps you should take some time off work and see a doctor about the depression etc.

Max Lowry :

This would allow you to get medical advice and evidence about the potential effects of what has happened to you. And whether it is attributable to work and the actions of this individual.

JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : I can't afford to take time off work
Max Lowry :

Okay, then you're going to have to see a doctor just as soon as you can about the depression.

Max Lowry :

It might be that if your employer has causes these issued then you have grounds to walk out and claim constructive unfair dismissal by reason of what appears to be sexual harassment.

JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : So I should see my doctor as soon as possible so I have medical evidence.
Max Lowry :

Yes, that's worth doing. Your heath is obviously, and rightly, of considerable importance to you.

JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : Ok thank you
Max Lowry :

Thank you. Does this answer your question for the time being?

Max Lowry :

Why have you rated poor service?

Max Lowry :

I would like to help you understand your position?

Max Lowry :

I'm happy to elaborate on anything to make sure you get an excellent service, I just ned to understand what you would like to know more about.

JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : I already knew all that
Max Lowry :

Okay - so what do you want to know specifically, that you don't already know about?

Max Lowry :

And in fairness, just because you know the answer already, doesn't mean that my service is poor.

JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : I don't even know
JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : I'm a bit emotional at the moment I don't even remember half if what I'm saying
JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : But I definitely knew all that
Max Lowry :

I understand. All I want to do is try and help you with information.

Max Lowry :

And it's important to me that you feel that my service is at least GOOD, so lets work together to achieve that, is that okay?

JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : I don't think there is any other information you can help me with
JACUSTOMER-h5fk43rd- : Thank you and goodbye
Max Lowry :

Okay, I understand. Thank you for your time too. I would really appreciate you at least giving me a positive rating if you can.