taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I am a manager accused of sexual harassment by a female member

Customer Question

I am a manager accused of sexual harassment by a female member of staff.she disclosed lots of personal information to which I listened around her sexual life including promiscuous behaviour. She then went to the director complaining of harassment which never happened,.she called me and I got a colleague to listen on my phones loud speaker asking her if I have ever harassed you,she replied no but she was scared that I used the information she gave me to blackmail her ,do you think this will stand in my defence
Expert:  taratill replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer, how long have you worked for the employer and is the employer aware of the recorded call?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes there are now,I have worked there 13 years and never a problem
Expert:  taratill replied 4 years ago.
Hi when a manager receives an allegation of harassment of this nature then they have a duty to investigate the allegation and depending on the outcome of the investigation they may take action against the person accused or the person making the allegation if it is found to be malicious.

If the employer is aware of the denial then they should consider this, along with any other evidence they have surrounding the allegation. If the employee says she was being blackmailed they must also take this into consideration.

If you have worked there for 13 years with no other problem then the employer should bear this in mind when coming to a conclusion and you should not be afraid to point this out with them.

The upshot is they cannot take action against you unless they have reasonable belief that you have committed the act. If they do you would have the right to appeal against any disciplinary action.

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a postiive rating.

Thank you and all the best.