29905560

Hi I have recently stepped down from assistant manager after

Customer Question

Hi I have recently stepped down from assistant manager after 8 years. My employer wants to reduce my wage from £10 hr to £9.50 hr and change my commission from me getting 10% of my weekly takings to me only getting 10% of what is left from my weekly takings once vat @20% and my weekly wage has been deducted. I work 27 hrs a week as a hairdresser and so my weekly takings vary. Bearing in mind I have not had a pay rise since being made assistant manager.

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know what your specific question is.

JACUSTOMER-43ty1ki7- : Hi I would just like to know if my boss is allowed to do the above and if I am obliged to agree to his terms. I have worked for the company for the last 13 years and in 2008 had to have 3 months off of work following a radical hysterectomy due to cervical cancer. During that time another member of staff who was covering my position was also made up to Assistant manager with no discussion with me and once I returned to work I have felt my position has not been the same. I have continued to work in a management position until now but because of various work related issues decided to step down. I would appreciate your advise on this matter
Ben Jones :

Hello again, if you are stepping down from a specific job and moving to a position with different duties and responsibilities, the employer can decide to offer you a new contract for that new job and it may include changes in terms and conditions. This is regardless of whether you received a pay rise when you were promoted to that position in the past.

So that leaves you with the following options:

• Remain in your current position and on the terms you are currently enjoying
  • Step down from that position and take up another position with the employer, although it would have to be on the terms they are offering you
  • Resign from your current position and leave this employer

In the final option, where you are resigning, if you believe that this was done by the unfair behaviour of the employer and that left you with no other option but to leave your position, then you may also consider a potential claim for constructive dismissal.

Ben Jones :

Has this answered your original query?