Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Ive requested a meeting with my line manager and her boss

Customer Question

I've requested a meeting with my line manager and her boss about concerns I have about how I have been treated at work. Following a similar meeting a few months ago where I was on my own with two managers, and felt completely out of my depth I have now requested that I be allowed to have my sister, who has nothing to do with the organisation I work for, come with me. My boss has said no and that the meeting will be held in line with their Disciplinary and Grievances policy which means I can only have a work colleague or a trade union rep with me. I've explained that as I work on my own as a home help that I don't know anyone else who works there and i'm not a member of a trade union. Also, I asked for an informal meeting to discuss my concerns and so this is not disciplinary and I haven't raised a grievance so I don't see why I should not be allowed to bring someone else to accompany me. Am I allowed to ask that someone else attends with me?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Unfortunately you cannot force the employer to allow someone else to accompany you. The law will allow you to have a trade union rep or a colleague at a disciplinary, dismissal or a grievance meeting but any other meetings, formal or informal, do not have that right and it means tat you attend alone unless the employer allows otherwise. It is entirely at their discretion if they will allow someone else to come with you and you cannot force them to do so
Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your query or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated. If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.