Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I am 3 months into a 6 month probationaery period at work and

Customer Question

I am 3 months into a 6 month probationaery period at work and have just handed in my notice. My contract states I need to give four weeks but have asked if I can lkeave earlier do to family grievences but they have stated I need to stick to the temrs of the contract. Can they make me do this?
Expert:  cityguru replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question. It is a little unusual to have 4 weeks in a short probationary period but in theory if that is what the contract says then that is what you should give. However in practice there is little an employer can do if you just leave. It may effect any reference they give you but they are not going to sue for breach of contract if you do leave. If you are paid monthly they may try and withhold your pay but they are legally obliged to pay you for the time you work.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.