Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

I owe an ex employee some wages, the amount of which I am in

Customer Question

I owe an ex employee some wages, the amount of which I am in dispute with him about. I have offered arbitration to sort the amount and said I will adhere the resulting amount. He is threatening by e mail that if I do not pay the full amount by 10.00am today then he will contact several companies/organisations that I am dealing with and tell them. Is this Blackmail?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded.

For now please let me know exactly how long he has worked there.

JACUSTOMER-2p7fzy6p- :

He worked from May 2012 to March 2013.

JACUSTOMER-2p7fzy6p- :

I really do need some indication very very quickly as he is threatening to call the people I mentioned by 10.00am this morning

JACUSTOMER-2p7fzy6p- :

Hello sorry I could not get back to you earlier, I have just become free - do you still need help with your query?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For Ben Jones

Yes please I would still like to know whether you consider his actions are blackmail

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I have been asked to look at this as I'm a criminal specialist.

Can you give me more information upon the threat he is making?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is threatening to write to companies/organisations that we have contracts with

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
And say what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That he is owed money by the company and other untruths/assumptions e.g. HMRC.

We are concerned that his letters to these people may be enough to unsettle their confidence in us

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

You can certainly make a report to the police. Blackmail can indeed be made out even on money that is owed.

However, it would be irresponsible of me to suggest that your chances are strong. What amounts to an 'unwarranted demand with menaces' has been considered by the higher courts and the leading cases involve things like threatening to place intimate images of a debtor's wife on the internet or attending a debtors' house with a chainsaw and starting it up.

In comparison, I'm afraid, I would be surprised if the police took the view that this amounted to criminal conduct. Its certainly a rather enthusiastic method of debt collection but it isn't really grossly disproportionate as the case law requires.

I suppose it does not harm to report it but that is the response I would expect.

I'm very sorry but thats your position.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.