29905560

is there a maxamim temprature to work in in a glasshouse or

Customer Question

is there a maxamim temprature to work in in a glasshouse or polytunnel please

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

The law does not stipulate a specific temperature for workplaces and instead deals with it in the following way:

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 says that temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable.

Examples of ways to control the temperature include:

• insulating hot plants or pipes;
  • providing air-cooling plant;
  • shading windows;
  • siting workstations away from places subject to radiant heat;
  • providing local cooling or fans

If none of the above can be applied due to the nature of the work, then suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided. In addition and where practical there should be systems of work, such as task rotation, to ensure that the length of time for which individual workers are exposed to uncomfortable temperatures is reduced to a minimum.

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query and would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating - your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you