29905560

Remus2004 let us suppose now that an employee Y has gained

Customer Question

Remus2004
let us suppose now that an employee Y has gained access to the private filespace of another employee Z on the University computer and has downloaded a file written by Z. The file was Z's way of keeping sane under repeated attacks by Y and contains unattributable references to Y in the form of a novel. The file is password XXXXX so that he has to engage another employee to hack the password. He reads this document without of course any authorisation of Z and decides he will use this to 'incriminate' him to others. Z is now employed by another University. Y secretly makes selective quotations from the document to put Z in the worst possible light in order to get Z's new employer to drive him out. Y blocks Z's publications, grants and consultancy so that it appears Z is performing badly. Z's employer would be able to point this out in downgrading Z or asking him to take retirement even though the accusations are distortions of the truth at best and scurrilous lies at worst. What is Z's legal position?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 4 years ago.
HI.

Thank you for your question . My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Thanks for your interest in me but this isn't really my area anymore.

I will pass this onto an employment specialist for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, Jo. Just in reference to the previous question, what I wanted to know was really this: if someone is secretly recording my conversation and shows this to a third party can that party then sue me for defamation even though this was believed to be a private conversation?

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Is the third party the person you are talking about in this conversation and do you name them please?