29905560

my contract of employment says that I am entitled to 25 days

Customer Question

my contract of employment says that I am entitled to 25 days off per year and I also get an allowance for bank holidays. My work is closed on a bank holiday. My employer works out my public holiday allowance on what they say is a standard working day but because I actually work 8 and a half hours on a Monday they take off 8 and a half hours. I therefore end up with a deficit on my bank holiday hours, and they take that off my annual leave entitlement, can they do this? My annual leave is calculated in hours, I believe they have had my leave incorrect from a few years ago and despite me ,telling the they have carried forward the error. If the error is corrected, can I have the leave backdated or is it wrote off. They have said that the most I can carry forward is 10 days...pro rata. Does this mean my leave is lost? Can I get compensation for their error? I mean I have been scared take leave incase it has been wrong and they come back later asking for payment if they gave me too many but I think they have not given me enough?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Does your contract actually state what the allowance for bank holidays is?

JACUSTOMER-twrdg7rd- : No, but the guidance says the allowance is worked out using my employers standard working day.