Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hi I am in the process of trying to sort out part time work

Customer Question

I am in the process of trying to sort out part time work following maternity leave. They ha e said that this isn't possible as a hand over couldn't be carried out on the Friday fr which I have said that I will come in for one hour every friday unpaid to do the handover. I am happy to do this but they are saying they are unsure whether this is legal. Is it? Or are they just using this as an excuse not i give me the hours I want!
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill : Hello and welcome to Just Answer, are you asking if it legal for them to require you to work an hour unpaid in a Friday?
JACUSTOMER-d97dw1af- : No they are saying it might not be legal to work the hour unpaid! I want to do it in order to make it possible to work the part time hours I want.
taratill :

Hi are you paid more than the minimum wage?

JACUSTOMER-d97dw1af- : Yes
taratill :

Hi there is no law that would prevent them from allowing you to do so. The only possibility would be that if as a result of you working an additional unpaid hour you were receiving less than the minimum wage in respect of all of the hours you work. This sounds like an excuse to me. You should raise a grievance about it.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer thank you and all the best.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.