tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Laywer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience in employment related issues.
73598664

Hi, I am applying for a permanent job at a company I already

Customer Question

Hi, I am applying for a permanent job at a company I already contract for. However, I have been told if I apply my application cannot be progressed because I don't hold a degree. I hold professional qualifications and also am studying towards two bachelors degrees but they won't be completed for circa two years. Can they discriminate my application if I hold the relevant skills and experience just because I don't hold a degree?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is Tony and I'm a solicitor. I can help with this.

tdlawyer :

Then can discriminate on the basis of professional qualifications - this is not an unlawful form of discrimination I'm afraid. However, if you're doing the job already, it seems an odd explanation. It might be worth bypassing their online system and speaking to HR directly and see whether they're prepared to waive the degree requirement due to your experience.

JACUSTOMER-wtn0a99g- :

Unfortunately HR are very difficult to get hold of and there is not a person to get hold of face to face or via telephone as they don't publish their numbers. The requirement is for any Bachelors degree which implies relevant or not, this is legal then?

tdlawyer :

Yes, it's legal.

tdlawyer :

It sounds a bit silly, potentially, but it's perfectly legal.

tdlawyer :

If this answers your question, would you rate the answer for me and close the chat please?