cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior lawyer with 30 years experience
18726264

Hi Ive handed in notice at work and they are making me work

Customer Question

Hi Ive handed in notice at work and they are making me work the full 3 months notice required under the Contract. Senior Managers are making things more and more unbearable to the point that colleagues have said i should get signed off plus they keep raising complaints with HR but nothing gets done. In addition, my contract states I am to only work 2 days a week and i have been working full time since May to help the firm out but because the bullying is becoming so unbearable I suggested going back to my contractual hours. They havent said No but they havent acknowledged it either. Im not sure what to do as Im crying constantly and Im getting panic attacks which isnt good when Im recovering from cancer (which the firm knows about). So my questions are 1) Will my reference get affected if I go off sick (2) If I decided to go back and said I was just doing my 2 days a week would I be in the wrong legally (3) Whats the best thing to do as management are not listening?
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
This sounds most unfortunate. If you contract hours are 2 days a week then you can stick to them but if you are suffering from bullying and stress I would recommend you get singed of sick

It is difficult to control what is put in references so there is always a risk there.

I would recommend you put in a formal written grievance saying that you are being mistreated and bullied and you are not obliged to work full time so you will be reverting to your 2 day week. If you feel unable to attend get signed off sick.