29905560

Are employers supposed to pay employees NI contributions?

Customer Question

Are employers supposed to pay employees NI contributions? How does this work? Online articles etc. have been too complicated for me – don’t be afraid to be patronising to keep this simple #dyslexic

Ben Jones :

Hello, if you were genuinely an employee, then it is usual for the employer to operate a PAYE scheme where they deduct all due taxes direct from your pay and they then make all payments due by you to the Revenue. So if you were an employee and earn at least the minimum for NI contributions to be made, it is compulsory for the employer to operate the PAYE scheme and make these payments on your behalf

JACUSTOMER-3qt0tkg2- :

Do you happen to know what the minimum is?

JACUSTOMER-3qt0tkg2- :

Are you not answering as you consider this a second question or is there a problem with the site??

Ben Jones :

Hi sorry only just seen this, the lower earnings limit for 2013-2014 is £109 a week

JACUSTOMER-3qt0tkg2- :

Hope you didn't think I was being rude. Thank you once again for your assistance.

JACUSTOMER-3qt0tkg2- :

Do you know where I could look it up for 2009-12?

Ben Jones :

not a problem, here are the other rates

Ben Jones :

2009 - 2010 - £95

2010 - 2011 - £97

2011 - 2012 - £102

2012 - 2013 - £107

Ben Jones :

the new rates apply when the new financial year starts every April

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much

JACUSTOMER-3qt0tkg2- : So (embarrassing question) is "NI Contributions" the same as tax? Is it just a fancy less-threatening better-press version?
JACUSTOMER-3qt0tkg2- : I presume this is our individual contribution for the NHS, road maintenance etc etc? Or is that another tax?
Ben Jones :

It is not the same as income tax, which is what you pay on your income, NI contributions are paid towards certain state benefits, you can get the full list here:

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance/what-national-insurance-is-for

Ben Jones :