taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

A WORKS COLLEAGUE HAS WRITTEN TO MY EMPLOYER WITH A LETTER

Customer Question

A WORKS COLLEAGUE HAS WRITTEN TO MY EMPLOYER WITH A LETTER FULL OF LIES ABOUT ME CAN I SUE #[email protected]
Expert:  taratill replied 4 years ago.

taratill : Hello and welcome to Just Answer, how long have you worked for the employer? Did the employer take action against you as a result of this?
JACUSTOMER-xyrum6ya- :

I have worked there over twelve years and no they do not intend to take action b ut i would like to take action against the writer because of the damage he attempted to do AND THE BARRAGE OF LIES IN THE LETTER

taratill : Does your employer know this is a barrage of lies and have they offered to take action against the colleague?
taratill :

Unfortunately unless you have suffered a financial loss there is no point in suing the colleague as in UK law you can only sue a person for damages, this means you must have lost out financially as a result. As your employer has not taken action against you there is no such claim.

taratill :

Your employer does have a duty of trust and confidence towards you. If they know that your colleague has acted in bad faith by writing this letter about you then they should take action against your colleague. You have a right to raise a grievance about the colleague and your employers failure to act on the basis that it amounts to a breach of trust and confidence.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If i have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.