taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

How many hours do I have to work before I am entitled to a

Customer Question

How many hours do I have to work before I am entitled to a break my boss said 6hours is that right
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill : Hello my name is Jenny and I happy yo
taratill : To help you today.
taratill :

Your boss is correct, if you are an adult worker working during day time hours then the minimum requirement is for a 20 minute break after a 6 hour shift is worked.

taratill :

The law is set out in the Working Time Regulations 1998.

taratill :

If you have any further specific questions about this please do ask.

JACUSTOMER-lfu84i5c- : How many hours can I work before I am entitled to a break my boss said 6 hours is this correct sometimes I work 5 hours and other times I work 8 hour shifts
taratill :

You are only entitled to a break on your 8 hour shift. The working time regulations govern this and they state that an adult worker is entitled to a 20 minute break after they have worked 6 hours.

taratill :

If you would like to know anything further about this please do let me know.

JACUSTOMER-lfu84i5c- : Am I entitled to a 10 min coffee break in the morning if I work 8.30 to1.30
taratill :

Under the Working Time regulations you are not legally obliged to have a coffee break. However many workplaces would allow this, if your company has allowed this in the past and is now trying to change this citing the Working Time Regulations then this would potentially be unlawful as it would amount to a change in terms and conditions.

JACUSTOMER-lfu84i5c- : I have worked for this company a residential home for the elderly for the past 23years and never been stopped before
taratill :

well in my view that amounts to a change in terms and conditions and you have the right to raise a grievance about it. The Working Time Regulations set out the minimum statutory requirements, they do not give the employer the right to reduce break times, especially for a long serving employee.

taratill :

You should raise a grievance stating that it is a breach of contract in that it is a change in your terms and conditions and that, as you have not been given notice, it is unilateral and unlawful.

taratill :

Hopefully your employer will then reconsider their position.

JACUSTOMER-lfu84i5c- : Thank you very much for your help hopefully I will get my coffee
taratill :

I really hope so to as I think you are being treated very badly.

taratill :

I would be grateful if you would remember to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.