75100385

Hello My husband has just discovered that an employee has

Customer Question

My husband has just discovered that an employee has stolen a significant sum of money from him. We have been to the police to report the theft but do not know what to do in terms of suspending the employee. They are not aware that we know yet and are due back at work on Monday. How should we proceed?

Many thanks.
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

How long has be been with you? Do you have a disciplinary policy please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been with the company for 1 year and 5 months and has been stealing money for a year of that time totalling around £30k. We have a standard disciplinary policy in place.

You can of course suspend pending an investigation. Suspension is not a sanction, it maintains the status quo but this would be with pay. You can then investigate the matter or see what the outcome of the police action is. If it is theft then this will likely be gross misconduct for which the employee can be fired.

But they can be suspended Monday pending police and your own investigation. For more help please see http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1797