29905560

I work 4 days a week how many days holiday am i entitled to

I work 4 days a week how many days holiday am i entitled to per year also my days of work are tuesday to friday what happens to my bank holiday entitlements

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there please?

Customer:

8 years

Customer:

I originally worked 3days then changed to 4days i am just confused as to my entitlement as i work the same dayus as others and they get more than i have and i want to be sure.

Ben Jones : Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it with me, I will get my response ready and you will have it on here first thing in the morning.
Customer:

Thank you will await your answer tomorrow

Ben Jones :

Good morning, thank you for your patience. Your holiday entitlement is calculated based on the number of days you work per week. A full time worker who works 5 days a week gets a minimum entitlement of 28 days holiday a year. Someone working 4 days a week would get an entitlement of 22.4 days a year.

When it comes to bank holiday entitlements, the law does not allow employees to have time off for bank holidays - basically bank holidays would count towards an employee's holiday allowance. You may find that some employers allow their employees to take bank holidays on top of their holiday allowance but that is not a legal requirement.

So what your entitlements to bank holidays are would depend on how the other full time employees are being treated in relation to that. If a full time worker in your workplace gets 28 days holiday a year, INCLUDING bank holidays, then you cannot expect any extra holidays yourself as long as you are being given the 22.4 days you are entitled to. However, if a full time worker gets 28 days a year PLUS bank holidays on top of that, you have an argument that you should be entitled to a pro rata entitlement to the bank holidays you are missing out on by not working Mondays. So you can claim that you should get the minimum 22.4 days you are entitled to and on top of that get a proportion of the bank holidays, which would be 4/5ths of the bank holidays in a year. If there are 8 bank holidays in a year you can ask that you are given an extra 6.4 days holidays to reflect that.

Hope this clarifies - it is not the easiest law to explain or understand so let me know if you need me to clarify anything further.

Customer:

Thank you for your answer it has clarified a lot in my mind.

Customer:

Thank you for the answer to my question it has clarified a lot in my mind.

Customer:

Thank you for your answer to my questions it has clarified a lot in my mind.

Customer:

Hi how many more questions am i able to ask and how much time have i got to ask.

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good evening Mr Jones

I just have another quiestion to ask you.

When was this method to calculate the holiday entilement put into place as i have had my holiday entilement calculated wrong and if it is for years, am i entitled to back dated pay for my holiday days i never had.

Thank you Mrs somerville

Question answered on separate thread:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/employment-law/85qfx-good-evening-in-ref-previous-question-holiday-entiotlement.html?dologin=1&src=nql