29905560

I have signed a contract for 20 hours a week. My shift rotas

I have signed a contract for 20 hours a week. My shift rotas are made 4 weeks in advance. My questions are - Are my employers allowed to spread 80 hours over the 4 weeks or do they have to give me at least my contracted hours each week?

Can I claim overtime payments for hours worked over 20?

Are they allowed to use double time payments as worked hours?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there for?

Customer:

5 years

Ben Jones :

When a contract says you are guaranteed 20 hours a week then that is what you can expect on a weekly bases (Mon-Sun, unless a working week is defined differently in your contract). The employer cannot spread it out and average it over several weeks, for example 10 hours one week, then 30 the next.

As to overtime what does your contract say about it and your entitlement to overtime pay?

Customer:

I am not sure. I would have to re-read my contract.

Customer:

Additional hours are paid at normal rates.

Ben Jones :

Well if you are entitled to be paid overtime for any hours over the 20 you are guaranteed a week, then assuming you are required to do more than 20 in a single week, these should be paid as overtime and at the overtime rate

Ben Jones :

Do you need me to clarify anything further for you?

Ben Jones :

Hello?

Customer:

No I think that is all. Thank you very much for your help. It helps me in making my next step.

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome, all the best