taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have formally accepted a written job offer and am due to

I have formally accepted a written job offer and am due to start early in the new year. I have been offered another interview. What is my position if I take another job after signing acceptance and terms of contract for the new post?
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today. Are you asking what the consequences are of not starting the new poisition?

Customer:

Yes

taratill :

It is fairly common for people to have second thoughts after accepting a new position. As the contract has not started you can contact the new employer to say that you are not in a position to take the job.

taratill :

There is no action that the employer can take against you as they are highly unlikely to suffer any financial loss as a result of your change of mind.

taratill :

So whilst technically there is a breach of contract if you fail to give notice under the contract the employer cannot/ will not take action unless they can show they have suffered a financial loss as a result of the breach.

taratill :

If you have any further questions about this please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best in your new role.

Customer:

So, apart from bad etiquette etc, I would be free to accept another post and inform the first potential employer that I have changed my mind. Subject, as you say to the technical breach of contract but their being unable to show any real financial loss etc.

taratill :

yes that's correct.

Customer:

taratill :

No problem, all the best in your new job. Please remember to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time.