29905560

Iv am still working at the nec as a catering supervisor im

Customer Question

Iv am still working at the nec as a catering supervisor im i in line to this equal pay been that im working for the nec that is own by birimingham council?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you asking if you are eligible for equal pay?

JACUSTOMER-1vs5ctnb- :

Hi Ben

JACUSTOMER-1vs5ctnb- :

can you let me know what to do/

Ben Jones :

What to do to achieve what specifically?

JACUSTOMER-1vs5ctnb- :

can you let me know the answer to my question please that Iv asked please thank you

Ben Jones :

I cannot understand what your question is as it is not clear from your original post - are you simply asking if you are eligible for equal pay?

JACUSTOMER-1vs5ctnb- :

yes thats what im asking

Ben Jones :

well the law on equal pay is extremely complex and I will need quite a bit of extra information to be able to tell if you may be eligible, it is not as simple as saying "I work for Birmingham Council, can I get equal pay" - it depends on your job, what you do, whether you were underpaid when compared to male counterparts, how long you have been underpaid for, are you still being underpaid, etc?

JACUSTOMER-1vs5ctnb- :

Ben iv not gone round to all male colleauges asking them hoe much their paided, i wsa thinking of going to b-ham council to find out but opted out of doing so. not sure if i was entiltle any thing, not even sure if im underpaid right now, or before? how would i be able to find out this? dont know any of the answer to your question yet!

Ben Jones :

well the law on equal pay entitled men and women to be paid equally for undertaking jobs of the same or equal value. This comes from the fact that historically men were paid more than women for doing certain jobs, although over the years the pay was improved and brought in line with equality laws. So there is certainly no easy way of establishing if you qualify or not. I am afraid you will have to do some digging around to see what rates of pay you were paid over the years and compare that to the pay of men doing the same, or substantially similar jobs. Whilst asking around can help, you can try approaching the employer directly and asking for the necessary details and even asking the direct question whether you were entitled to be paid more and if you fall within equal pay laws. Also it is worth mentioning that any arrears of pay can only go back 6 years so if you were underpaid, for example, 10 years ago, you cannot claim that far back unless the employer had concealed the underpayments when they knowingly made them

JACUSTOMER-1vs5ctnb- :

as you say not as easy as people make it seem. what do i do with info if an when i recieve it or lock of info?

Ben Jones :

if the employer does not respond or provide you with sufficient information, then you will have to do your own research to establish whether you were underpaid. It will have to involve you asking around most likely and comparing pay for those male colleagues that did the same job as you, also considering any factors that may have resulted in higher pay, such as length of service and promotions. If you do find out that you were underpaid and that you can still claim, then you may wish to approach the employer directly first to highlight that you have a potential claim and ask them to settle directly, but if that does not work then you have to consider making a claim in the employment tribunal to pursue a claim against them

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?