29905560

I would like some advice as to how long a practice nurse should

Customer Question

I would like some advice as to how long a practice nurse should be
expected to work without a break, I work in a Dr's surgery our P/nse
is beingaske to work 6 1/2 hrs with 10 min appts with 3 10min
apt blocked off , this is her only breaks, given that if she is fully booked
32 patients to see she often runs over time therefore does not really get a break, also she has her computer work to do, I was under the impression no one should work for more that 5 hrs without a COMPLETE
break, I would be grateful of your comments on this issue as I feel it is too much to ask of her. K.R [email protected],co.uk

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long has she worked there and what is it that you want to achieve?

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

she has only worked for us for 8 months but I feel she is

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

being put under pressure as to have to attend to 36 patients

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

in 6 1/2 hrs without a break could lead to her maybe makinga mistake

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

she only has a 10 minute slot for eah patient, childhood imms ear syringes smears etc

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

I think she would prefer to have at least 15 minute slots

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

but the doctor doesn't agree as she says sometimes patients don't

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

turn up, but what if they do, I think we should err on the side of caution

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

as according to employment law no one should have to work

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

more than 6 hrs without at least a 20 min break, when she is fully

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

booked she over runs and generally works for ann extra hour making it more like 7 1/2 hrs also she

JACUSTOMER-myr66gjs- :

has to enter on computer and code allhe has done

Ben Jones :

Hi, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. The law on working time states that an employee is entitled to an uninterrupted 20 minute break for every 6 hours of work. The break must be taken during the working day (i.e. not at the beginning or end of the working day) and the worker must be allowed to take it away from their usual work station. So it means that someone working for 11 hours a day for example is still only entitled to just 20 minutes break, although if they worked 12 hours or more, this would increase to 40 minutes.

The person in your case is still only entitled to a 20-minute break during their working day. If they are working on a computer they should be allowed time away from being constantly required to work on it, but that means doing other work, rather than having a break where they do not work at all. So if they are seeing patients and are not imputing data on the computer at the time, that would count as a break away from the computer.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?