taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hi i was made redundant in March 2013. My employer at the time

Customer Question

Hi i was made redundant in March 2013. My employer at the time told me he would pay my redundancy money but still no sigh of it. I have now been told he might have to go into liquidation and i can claim my redundancy off the government is this possible as i was working for him for around 9 years.
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill :

Hello my name is Jenny and I am happy to help you today. Have you taken any steps to get this money, i.e. brought a claim in the tribunal for failure to pay?

Customer :

No i haven't i didnt know what to do

taratill :

Ok, you are now out of time to claim as this must be done within 6 months of the date that the money became due. You can however, still contact the Redundancy Payments Helpline who can help you if the employer has gone into liquidation. This is a government service. Details are at https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-payments-helpline

taratill :

Please let me know if you need any further information and all the best with this.

Customer :

My employer promissed me he would pay the money it was only 2 days ago when he said he couldnt

taratill :

Ok that does not change the fact that there is a 6 month time limit for raising a claim which is normally strictly enforced. There is nothing wrong with threatening a claim and you could raise a claim on the basis that it is just and equitable for the tribunal to hear the claim out of time given your employer's promises. I cannot guarantee the tribunal will allow it but it might be worth a try. You will find the claim form at www.employmenttribunals.gov.uk

taratill :

All the best with this.