29905560

Hello Someone has made an accusation that I have abused a

Customer Question

Someone has made an accusation that I have abused a person in my care .without discussing the facts or events with me. My employer does not believe the accusations and has dismissed them as unfounded.this may hinder my reputation in the care industry. What can I do about the person who has made the comments and accusation.
Thankyou

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you know who actually made these comments?

Customer: Yes I know who it is
Ben Jones :

Are they employed by the same company?

Customer: No , I am employed by my clients mother. She is divorced from my clients father and it is he who has made the accusation.
Ben Jones :

ok let me get my response ready please

Ben Jones :

The person’s comments could amount to defamation, or if they continue to be made in the future, it could be harassment.

Whilst this may appear to be a potential case of defamation (this includes libel if it is in written form, or slander if it is in oral form), such claims are extremely difficult to pursue. Many people are intent on suing for defamation without having any appreciation of the law behind them, so I will try and clear things up for you now.

First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are:

1. The statement has to be untrue.

2. It must directly identify the complainant.

3. It must have been published, usually communicated to at least another person.

4. It must be in a form of words, which would tend to lower the claimant in the estimation of ‘right thinking members of society generally', expose the claimant to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or cause the claimant to be shunned or avoided.

Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has occurred, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is extremely complex and expensive. As this goes through the High Court, you would need the professional help of specialist defamation solicitors and the costs are undoubtedly going to run into the thousands right at the outset. Also there is no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally. So when you hear about defamation claims being made, these are usually pursued by big corporations or celebrities who have a public image to protect.

You must also consider whether the party alleged of making the defamatory statement can defend the claim. Even if you satisfy the criteria to prove the statement was defamatory, the following are acceptable defences:

• Providing evidence that the statement was true or a fair comment

• The facts on which the comment was based are true and the statement was not made maliciously

• You were referred to unintentionally and the person who made the statement makes an offer of amends

There is of course nothing stopping you from contacting the other party and threatening them that what they have done amounts to defamation and that you will consider pursuing the matter further if they do not retract their statement. This could prompt them to reconsider their position, but I would not recommend that you actually proceed with a claim for defamation due to the issues highlighted above. However, if they continue to make such comments then as mentioned it could be harassment and at that stage the police can get involved if necessary.

Customer: Thank you for your help in this matter . Could you email your comments to me so that I can use them for reference. Many thanks again . Catherine
Ben Jones :

Unfortunately we cannot email customers

You have a few options:
a) If you see a 'share' button and hover over it you can see the option to print.
b) You could copy and paste this conversation into a Word document or equivalent. You can then save and/or print it and refer to it in the future as necessary.
c) This conversation will be stored in your account on this site so you may return to view it or do any of the above at any time

Customer: Cheers thankyou
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou I was satisfied with your information and help

Many thanks, all the best