29905560

Sex discrimination , because Im pregnant , Im in dispute with

Customer Question

Sex discrimination , because I'm pregnant , Im in dispute with my company , and need to know what sort off amount I'm looking for to settle before tribunal ?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

How long have you worked there for?

JACUSTOMER-rbjpf3rt- : 12 months .
Ben Jones :

OK, thank you, please leave this with me - I will look into this for you, get my response ready and get back to you on here. No need to wait around and you will get an email when I have responded, thank you

Ben Jones :

Thanks for your patience. There is never a right or wrong amount to settle for and in the end it will simply be an amount that you are happy to accept and the employer is happy to pay. It is therefore entirely about finding common ground.

As a minimum I would say you should be looking at your contractual notice period, any outstanding holidays and compensation for injury to feelings. That is because if a claim for discrimination is made, the usual remedy would be to award compensation for injury to feelings. This is calculated by considering the level of discrimination that the claimant has been subjected to. The seriousness of the discriminatory behaviour is assigned to one of three ‘bands’ known as Vento bands, named after a court case with that name. The current compensation levels are as follows:

• Lower band - for less serious cases, for example an isolated incident or event (£600 - £6,000)

• Middle band - for serious cases which are not serious enough to fall within the highest band (£6,000 - £18,000)

• Top band - for the most serious cases, for example if there has been a lengthy and calculated campaign of harassment/discrimination (£18,000 - £30,000)

So you can use the above to calculate a realistic amount to begin negotiations with – expect that to be lowered down throughout the negotiations but have in mind a sum you are happy to take and also a sum where you will discontinue negotiations

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

JACUSTOMER-rbjpf3rt- : Thanks , it's quite a complex case , but just needed some figures , proberly end up at tribunal , cause they are dening everything , and all the witnesses are related to the boss . !!
Ben Jones :

well a figure is only as good as the employer agreeing to pay it, so it is impossible for me to just provide a figure, especially as I have limited details of your case. But if you were to go to a tribunal then that is whet they will use to calculate your compensation and it is what you can yourself use now to get a ballpark figure to at least begin negotiations with

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your original question or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this? Thanks