29905560

Is it possible to make an employment offer for a maternity

Is it possible to make an employment offer for a maternity cover, subject to the 'maternity leaver' actually taking the planned maternity leave (i.e. does not lose the baby or similar)?

Is it also possible to set a start date of between two dates i.e. you set a date based on a handover period assuming a certain commencement of maternity leave, but then, say if the baby comes early, you might want it to start earlier? (I appreciate there are practical issues here, but I am interested in the legal position.)

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Legally, yes it is possible. You can make an employment offer that is conditional on specific terms, for example on the original employee actually going off on ML. Similarly, you do not have to define a specific start date for the job, you can leave it as 'open' or specify a window and provide the employee with some notice of the required start

Customer:

OK, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX clear.