29905560

I have been alleged of academic misconduct for the first time

Customer Question

I have been alleged of academic misconduct for the first time what should i do ?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Can you please explain your situation in a bit more detail

Customer:

56% of my submitted work is directly related to one source which is another students report from another university

Ben Jones :

Are you a student?

Customer:

yes

Ben Jones :

So you are basically being accused of plagiarism?

Customer:

yes

Ben Jones :

Do you agree with these allegations?

Customer:

yeah i know i messed it up

Customer:

56% of my work is said to be from one source

Customer:

and i know thats true

Customer:

but i didn't copy and paste

Customer:

i tried paraphrasing

Ben Jones :

ok and what is your specific query about this?

Customer:

what should be my course of action

Customer:

i have been called for an interview with ACO

Customer:

I'm not from UK I'm here as an international student and has never herd of or experienced any of this situation before

Ben Jones :

These days identifying plagiarism can be a reasonably easy process as everything can be done electronically and similarities can be spotted with great detail. So if you have plagiarised someone else’s work, it may sometimes be impossible to fully defend this because the evidence would be there in black and white and it would be very difficult to say that this was not a case of using someone else’s work because the similarities would be too great.

In terms of how to deal with this, there is not necessarily a right or wrong way to go about it – it will depend on the university’s approach, how seriously they view such issues, etc.

As a start you can refer to this page:

http://plagiarism-defence.tripod.com/

it has useful tips on what to do if you are accused of plagiarism and how best to minimise any repercussions.

Customer:

This article has been written specifically for those students who have been accused of plagiarism, but who believe that they are not guilty.

Ben Jones :

yes I understand but you have to consider that if you know you are guilty then there is little you can to defend yourself - intentional plagiarism is an offence that can be punished so to have any chance of escaping or at least reducing any punishment you need to defend it on the grounds that the intentions were not fully there and that part of this was done accidentally

Ben Jones :

Otherwise all you can do is turn up, be honest with them, and expect the worst

Customer:

Ture!

Customer:

*true!

Ben Jones :

So that is why the article may be helpful in allowing you to raise a defence, even if it is a partial one, to try and minimise the potential outcome of this

Customer:

i was spiked during Christmas break lost my documents, significant cash and belongings which was reported to police as well as I have been diagnosed with carpel tunnel syndrome recently and have been refereed for a surgery recently which made me miss the opportunity to properly utilize the one month period given for the work. Can this be used as defense ?

Ben Jones :

Hmm...it could be a mitigating factor but still your intentions were conscious and you knew what you were doing. In these circumstances the normal thing would have been to ask for extra time perhaps, rather than plagiarising, in any event you can of course raise these factors with them and hope they make a difference

Customer:

so what exactly should i put up as a statement and what evidence can be provided ?

Ben Jones :

well I cannot write the statement for you, this is not what we do, but you just have to consider what is relevant from the article, what you can use in your case and also provide any other relevant factors like the ones you mentioned above. The evidence at present may not be necessary and you may wish to wait until the meeting and if they want further evidence they will tell you what you have to show them

Customer:

fair enough.. what would you recommend me ?

Should i be honest and ask them for another chance to submit the work or should i take it with me to the meeting to submit ?

Or

Should i try to defend my self in every way possible and wait for their response ?

Customer:

and what do you think to be the outcome in both cases given the fact that its first time ever!

Ben Jones :

well there is no right or wrong answer to this - the option you follow will depend on the university and those dealing with it, there is no way of predicting which is the best in this case - one option could work well with one university but not be successful with another and the other way round. So if I tell you 'do this' it may not necessarily be the best option in this case as it is impossible to predict

Ben Jones :

the worst case could be expulsion, at best it depends on how generous they feel

Customer:

I know but assuming yourself in my situation what would you do ? I'm student at University of Huddersfield

Customer:

I definitely won't blame you for what ever the out come is all i need is a professional advice

Ben Jones :

I will probably be honest with them, there is a risk of digging a bigger hole if you start trying to cover things up

Customer:

Thanks for your advice Ben you have been of great help

Ben Jones :

You are most welcome. Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the advice I have provided as that is an important part of our process. Thank you and feel free to bookmark my profile for future help:

www.justanswer.com/law/expert-ben-jones/

Customer:

with pleasure :)

Customer:

have a good day

Ben Jones :

and you, thanks

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'