taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

An unidentified (to me) employee raised to a Manager that they

An unidentified (to me) employee raised to a Manager that they smelt alcohol off me the day before, 5 days later I was called into my own Managers office and informed of this, mt Manager has said that in accordance with NHS policy she has to involve Personnel and has set up a meeting, she said she will have to refer me to Occ Health also. My questionn is can this be done on 'heresay'? My manager agreed she has no concerns about my performance or capability in the wokplace! Attendance and timekeeping are excellent.
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill : Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX long have you worked there for?
Customer:

Over five years in this post, around 15-20 years service with NHS.

Customer:

L

taratill :

Hi there is no problem with the employer having an investigation meeting based on hearsay. If the employer takes disciplinary action or refers you to occupational health without reasonable belief that there is an issue for you with alcohol then that would give you grounds for complaint.

taratill :

If this does, in fact, occur I would advise you to raise a grievance or to appeal against any disciplinary action.

taratill :

If you would like any further information please do let me know.

taratill :

If I have answered your quesiton I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Many thanks