29905560

i have worked for the same company for 13 years .i signed my

i have worked for the same company for 13 years .i signed my contract of employment at the time i was frst employed.my job desciption and remit has changed radically during this time but ihave recieved nothing in writing or any consultation despite having to offer consultation covering changes to people who report to me. is this wrong.

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Is this affecting you directly in any way?
Ben Jones : just to advise you I am offline for a short time but will respond on here today
Customer:

it is affecting me as another change is imenent that could undermine my position

Customer:

are you back online.

Customer:

are you back onlinej

Customer:

hello again Ben have you any information for me.

Ben Jones : Hi, I am here now, thanks
Ben Jones : when was the last time a change took place?
Ben Jones : Also what are the upcoming changes?
Customer:

6 months ago they changed my area without consutation and assumed that i would accept it.they now want to add resource to my area that will duplicate the work i aready do.

Ben Jones : Did you not challenge the changes in the past?
Customer:

no i accepted them out of loyalty to the company

Ben Jones : From a legal point of view you start a job, you are usually issued with a contract and you and the employer can expect each other to adhere to the relevant parts in it that apply to each side. This is the ideal situation, but of course in reality that does not always happen. It is not uncommon for an employer to intentionally or even unintentionally change the employee's contract or duties over time. Generally, they would need the employee's consent for these changes and in this case it appears that you have given your consent, as you say out of loyalty. Whilst you did not necessarily have to do so, you have consented to the changes so they would have become binding as a result and as such challenging them now would be rather difficult. Nevertheless, you can still challenge any proposed changes by refusing to consent to them and trying to oppose them. It would not stop the employer from trying to force them through but at least if that happens and you have not given your consent you can try and take the matter further. This is usually done initially by raising a formal grievance with the employer. If that does not succeed and the appeal also fails, your next option, which I agree is drastic, is to resign and claim constructive dismissal. This would happen if you believe the employer's actions have made it impossible for you to continue working there and it has resulted in 'the last straw'
Customer:

thanks Ben i think a precedent has been set and value your advice.

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'