taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have just recently had to dismiss an employee for theft.

I have just recently had to dismiss an employee for theft. I have a hairdressing business, and he was under contract not to work within 2 miles of my salon for 1 year, which he is now about to breach, what are my options
many thanks
Paul Metayer
Expert:  taratill replied 3 years ago.

taratill :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today. Is your business likely to suffer a financial loss as a result of this?

Customer:

Hi Jenny, \

Customer:

Hi Jenny, Yes he was a very busy stylist and he will be contacting customers to tell them where he is going and i gather has begun to do so already . So yes, there will be a significant loss to our income.

taratill :

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX write to him to tell him that if he breaches the restrictive covenants in his contract of employment you will be left with no option but to sue him for breach of the covenants.

taratill :

You should note that it can be fairly expensive to raise a claim. It is probably worth contacting a local highstreet solicitor to ask them to draft the letter and send it on letterhead.

Customer:

ok, thank you. How do i go about finding the right solicitor for that?

taratill :

They can ask him to sign an undertaking to say he will not do this otherwise you will sue him. If he breaches the undertaking he will be in contempt of court.

taratill :

Any local solicitor with a litigation department will be able to assist you.

taratill :

You should ask them to include the undertaking as tactically that is the best move.

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

taratill :

No problem, all the best with it. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.